Navigation Map Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody successfully upgrade maps?

I flashed Sync a couple of times with success, but the Maps..???

It first starts all good, but then either
a) I leave the usb stick in for hours and hours (700mile trip) and it does neither complain nor confirm final update
b) or I remove the stick after first install (when it tells me to do so) but then at restart complains that it wants to finish installation and no stick found...

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess I'm an idiot too. I never saw anything about downloading anything. I did get an email. Oh, well. I also use my phone so I guess it really doesn't matter.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did this successfully. Followed the directions to the letter, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit in my driveway for an hour while it updates! So, on a 90 minute trip back from the cabin I popped it in. Clicked a few buttons and it started updating. I had no problems driving and using Waze/Carplay while updating so it was fairly painless. It restarted once, did some more updating, then said it was finished and I could pull the USB stick out. It mentioned that the final update would happen after the next reboot.

Because I'm an idiot, I update my iPhone to IOS 13 at exactly the same time, so I'm not 100% sure what changed! I assume it was just map data and the rest of the changes are from the IOS update. LOL! You'd think a software engineer would know better...

William Miller

Reaction score
I missed the download links but contacted the vendor via email. They fixed the landing page so that I was able to download the map update, license file and all instructions. Followed each step to the letter and was able to update the maps in the Expedition.

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eventually I hit another problem. After downloading, extracting the tarball either with stuffit or Unarchiver, it complained about a broken archive....not with the standard osx zip tool tough....I gave up and dropped 40 bucks for their usb stick...lets see

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eventually I hit another problem. After downloading, extracting the tarball either with stuffit or Unarchiver, it complained about a broken archive....not with the standard osx zip tool tough....I gave up and dropped 40 bucks for their usb stick...lets see

You're not supposed to extract the .tar.gz license file; just the .zip file. You copy the .tar.gz file to the USB drive as-is (still compressed).

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're not supposed to extract the .tar.gz license file; just the .zip file. You copy the .tar.gz file to the USB drive as-is (still compressed).
Oh yes, I forgot about this. I think I had the same issue with unzipping the data file. I'm using a Mac and it complained about a corrupted archive. I fired up Win8 in a Virtual Machine and it unzipped fine. Then I was able to transfer to the USB key and it upgraded properly.

Highlightreel

Reaction score
I've never used the maps to do anything. Google maps (satellite image) is so good looking there's never a need. And Waze is neat too.

HOWEVER, I want to be updating everything I can to get everything they're giving and keep it up to date. Plus, it may update other minor things as well over time. It's free, takes minimal time so I'm going to do it.

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score

haha...of course...I meant the zip....haha....osx util extracted fine but never finished upgrade (at least not during a 350mile trip)....I tried other utils, stuffit and unarchiver and both complained about corrupt file....