Navigator question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathan Smith

Reaction score
I don't seem to see a Navigator section. I did read a VERY old thread with mention of creating one but If that happened I don't see it.

Anyway; I have an '03 Navigator with the 4V 5.4. I have a pretty bad rattle on startup that goes away after about 2 - 3 seconds. It sounds like really loose timing chains and that makes some sense...the chain tensioners being powered by oil pressure(i think) at least the ones in my 2V 4.6 were in my old mustang.

Assuming that is the case does anyone know if there is a fix for it?

03 exp

Reaction score
Put a motorcraft filter on it , change oil and see if it takes care of it! I think filter is fl820s

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Can you post a video, is it worse when cold compare to warm or does it happen the same regardless of the engine temp?

Does it sound like shaking a rock inside a tin can? If it does that's chain slapping on the plastic guides while the chain tensioner is still attempting to build pressure do tension the chain, commonly caused by a bad gasket on the tensioner causing oil to escape and reducing that oil pressure.