Need advice: Keep or sell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SailorKane

Reaction score
2003 Expy 2V 5.4L engine. Owned from new, regular oil change, in decent shape. 185K miles, done some towing. No major repairs done, except tranny rebuilt a couple years ago. There are a ton of small things to do on it that I've basically lived with. Door handle broke, but I can still open the door with the stub. Steering wheel is covered by walmart 9.99 special cover. Front seats starting to look worn. And the infamous "door ajar" chime needs to be fixed. BTW its a Florida car and no rust or wiring issues.
Only major unknown item is ticking noise from engine that might be worn lash adjusters and/or cam followers, that I've described in another thread.
So, as always, sell or repair is the decision. A new one is out of reach. Retired now and budget conscious. Thinking of doing top end on motor: timing chain, adjusters, cam followers, lash adjusters (not valves or rings). Would need some suspension goodies, I'm sure. Front shocks have been replaced with Monroe full assemblies and I'm pleased with them. Ride is much better, not too soft, not too harsh. Thinking of Monroe's on the rear too. Probably some bushings, bearings, etc.
So, should I undertake a full regime of repairs? Only the engine top end is expensive, probably $2K or thereabouts. Rear shocks probably $400. The rest I can do myself over time. A newer/used truck in good enough shape and low enough miles to bother with the change is probably $20-25K. I can do a lot of repairs for that. I would like to occasionally tow a travel trailer, so need the truck up to spec.
I've heard of expys doing 300K miles or more. Any thoughts anyone? Just looking for experiences, someone who has had to make this decision and opinions.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the sounds of it, my 2000 with 249k miles is in better shape than yours. I plan on keeping mine for awhile.

Repairs are typically cheaper than a payment.

Plati

Reaction score
Had my 2003 5.4 4x4 XLT since new, love driving it. 180K. Never had any major repairs either, but a regular series of "small issues". 6K oil changes 5W20 conventional. I'm keeping it running & safe but not putting any extra money into it. I bought a 2014EL for trips and just use the 03 for local jaunts now. I will milk this beater for all I can get out of it, but its not reliable like the 2014. Liftgate glass wont pop unless I use the remote. Disconnected the blend parts for rear heat a/c to kill thumping. I avoid using windows where possible. Front blower only works on 3 & 4. Seats are self destructing. Rocker panels and other body parts rusted & gone. Held together with Gorilla Tape in spots. Great beater! My records say I average $800/year in maintenance (incl tires brakes etc) to keep running. Don't have to worry about the dreaded "someone parking close to me in Parking Lot".
IMG_0632.JPG

Last edited:

donl

Reaction score
2003 4.6L XLT with 154K miles; same decision and decided to keep and upgrade. Vehicle was already lowered with Eibach kit/Biltstein shocks. OEM radio has been replaced with current tech, navigation, hands free and better sound system. Upgrades were paint and body to remove all dings, scratches, etc., remove all removable parts for paint and paint to original color. Not happy with the bluish gray door side panels that were supposed to be OEM gray so going back to repaint matte black. Steering wheel replaced and both driver and passenger seats recovered. Replaced OEM floor mats with Weathertech mats. 22" Foose wheels with Michelin 275/45 R22 Premier LTX tires.

No issues with motor, good compression, no oil consumption so shorty headers, CAI, underdrive pulleys, electric fans, 4.10 gears and 5 Star tune. Vehicle runs great, surprisingly quick for a heavy vehicle/small motor combination and rides/handles quiet and nimble for a bus. Will look great once the door/bumper trim panels have been repainted matte black. I will post pics when that is done.

Gave up 1mpg, 13 to 12 but worth it, if mileage is important, the Expy is not a vehicle to own. Budget was $10K but final cost was $11.5. Replacing with later used or new were both considered options within my financial means but I love the truck, hated to part with it and saved a ton by keeping and upgrading. When the motor goes, I will rebuild and supercharge.;)

left side.jpg

right side.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 Expy 2V 5.4L engine. Owned from new, regular oil change, in decent shape. 185K miles, done some towing. No major repairs done, except tranny rebuilt a couple years ago. There are a ton of small things to do on it that I've basically lived with. Door handle broke, but I can still open the door with the stub. Steering wheel is covered by walmart 9.99 special cover. Front seats starting to look worn. And the infamous "door ajar" chime needs to be fixed. BTW its a Florida car and no rust or wiring issues.
Only major unknown item is ticking noise from engine that might be worn lash adjusters and/or cam followers, that I've described in another thread.
So, as always, sell or repair is the decision. A new one is out of reach. Retired now and budget conscious. Thinking of doing top end on motor: timing chain, adjusters, cam followers, lash adjusters (not valves or rings). Would need some suspension goodies, I'm sure. Front shocks have been replaced with Monroe full assemblies and I'm pleased with them. Ride is much better, not too soft, not too harsh. Thinking of Monroe's on the rear too. Probably some bushings, bearings, etc.
So, should I undertake a full regime of repairs? Only the engine top end is expensive, probably $2K or thereabouts. Rear shocks probably $400. The rest I can do myself over time. A newer/used truck in good enough shape and low enough miles to bother with the change is probably $20-25K. I can do a lot of repairs for that. I would like to occasionally tow a travel trailer, so need the truck up to spec.
I've heard of expys doing 300K miles or more. Any thoughts anyone? Just looking for experiences, someone who has had to make this decision and opinions.

What weight oil are you using ? In Florida I would recommend a 10w-30 or 10w-40 synthetic, you'll probably cure that ticking. At 185k miles you need the ball joints on all 4 corners and inner tie rod ends, and maybe front swaybar end links. You can find replacement door handles online for pretty cheap. Is it interior, or exterior handle? You would be far ahead just putting the few parts in your old Expy than taking on somebody's trade in. Check your Expy's roof channels for rust and make sure to fix that before you get actual pit holes in the roof and water intrusion.

-Mike

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And I just posted in the other thread on this, you definitely don't want to decide to sell it just because of it lash adjuster or rocker arm ticking. It's such a simple repair. Less than an hour and $20. It's not like you have to replace all of them or anything else. They rarely fail so if you have one that's messed up or if you can find the one that's taking just replace the rocker arm and the Lash adjuster for under $20 and be done with it.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's such a simple repair. Less than an hour and $20.
I must be missing something here... How do you remove and replace valve covers and then the rockers in less than an hour? Maybe if the motor was pulled already?? I agree with your sentiment either way, just more curious about the 'less than an hour' thing than anything

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Give it a double oil change

Change 1: walmart full synthetic 5w40 + new motorcraft filter

Drive an hour on the freeway, get your fuel level pretty lowish, dump half a can of Seafoam into the crankcase and half into the tank.

Idle a few minutes or drive a couple miles.

Then change the oil.

Change 2: Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w40 Diesel Oil, new Motorcraft Filter

Optional: LiquiMoly Ceratec additive

Chances are it'll stop ticking. If it does, stick to 5w40 Rotella T6 and be happy.

Plati

Reaction score
Give it a double oil change

Change 1: walmart full synthetic 5w40 + new motorcraft filter

Drive an hour on the freeway, get your fuel level pretty lowish, dump half a can of Seafoam into the crankcase and half into the tank.

Idle a few minutes or drive a couple miles.

Then change the oil.

Change 2: Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w40 Diesel Oil, new Motorcraft Filter

Optional: LiquiMoly Ceratec additive

Chances are it'll stop ticking. If it does, stick to 5w40 Rotella T6 and be happy.
Duct tape one small frog on top of battery. Drain one quart of oil. Add a quart of kerosene to oil, run for an hour. Dilute with a quart Marvel Mystery Oil and drain 2 quarts out … run for 7.7 hours or 324 miles. Change oil & filter to OEM spec. Make Voodoo engine model and stick with pins at locations of intake valves. Chant and do dance. Pray for guidance. Use premium fuel for 1.5 weeks then switch to E85 for one full tank then switch back no Ethanol. Kick each tire 7 times moving in clockwise fashion between each tire. Park vehicle under white pine tree overnight. Block air intake until engine dies. Start engine. Repeat 7 times while saying OMMMMMMM. Sprinkle green tea and rose petals over hood. Put 5 shots of JD in gas tank and 4 shots in yourself. Wash and massage entire vehicle with microfibre cloth and then clay bar windshield. Cook and eat frog legs. Ticking should stop or you wont care by then anyway.

or try this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Adventur...56603918_10000000243&wl14=tick nipper&veh=sem

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our friend Toby's on Midwest Redneck time. Everything's quicker when you run around town with the valve covers off, just like early brass era cars. You get out every mile, and pour a quart over valves. The benefit is it quiets the valves, and oils those dry roads in Ohio!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk