Need Advice Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the rear wiper motor. Mine if used will stay running until it kills the battery. My expedition sits for 3 to 8 weeks at a time, to solve my issue, removed the motor to rear wiper and I added a 7.5 watt solar panel to the truck. Never had an issue. Even at minus 40c up here in Canada.

Battery. Excide 750 cca would be a great start.

I got an excide 1200 cca (cold cranking amp) in my expedition
I have read this before. How are you able to tell if it is staying on? Never seen one in person do this.

outdare

Reaction score
You can perform a draw test. This will tell you how much current is being used in a key off situation.

My father's 97 f150 gem/ body control module failed and was causing a battery draw. The dome light would come on and the radio would play.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had the rear wiper issue too. I remember my ford service advisor friend telling me about it just after buying my 07. I got out of the truck one day,was walking away and heard the whirring. Turned around to see the rear wiper cycling. I've had issues with the handle sticking so when I had the trim off,i disconnected the motor until I replaced it. It would be easier just to remove the fuse,just be sure that it doesn't power anything else.

OP
OP
gordizmom

gordizmom

Reaction score
I've never seen the rear wiper staying on and in fact, I hardly ever use it because it makes a clunking sound when I turn it off.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to do a current draw test and start removing fuses one at a time until you isolate the circuit that is pulling current otherwise it's going to be random guesses and likely end up chasing this problem into next winter all while killing batteries along the way. Even the best battery isnt going to stand up to the abuse of multiple discharges.

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a separate fuse for the rear wiper motor? I never use mine and will just pull it anyway if there is one. I haven't had dead battery per se, but have a relatively new battery and had it slow crank once in a blue moon for no apparent reason. It would be warm out and nothing left on. Just enough to make me think something intermittent may be getting ready to rear its ugly head.
My pain threshold for repair $$ is set pretty low. The old girl has over 280K on her and I am just using it to drive to work, limping thru one year at a time. Really enjoying not having a car payment.

OP
OP
gordizmom

gordizmom

Reaction score
I know very little about cars and don't know anything about fuses. I don't know if the mechanic checked the rear wiper fuse or not.
I too enjoy not having a car payment. I am retired and am on a fixed income so I can't afford to have a car payment anyway. Also, I moved to this state by myself not knowing anyone so there's no one I can ask to take a look at my truck without paying them. :(

Tonyray

Reaction score
I had the same problum with my 2000 expedition found out it was the radio. I put an aftermarket radio in and it has a wire hooked to 12V on all the time to keep the time and radio station stored. About 3 days of not driving it and the battery is dead.