Need help choosing a tire size t

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB02Exp

Reaction score
I’m happy to be back and grateful for everyone here.

Excessively long story short:

‘01 Expedition “Big Daddy” 2WD 5.4 Oxford/ Medium Parchment totaled by distracted driver (T-Bone red light, T5-T6 bulging disc)
‘02 Expedition “Mr. Big” 2WD 5.4 Oxford/ Medium Parchment totaled by elderly woman trying to park (bless her heart)

It’s been hard but I was blessed with an ‘02 4.6 2WD Black/ Dark Graphite. The difference is that the first 2 were mistreated and had questionable pasts whereas this one was one driver garage kept by a housekeeper, then retired gentleman before myself.

I’m 35, my friends and coworkers make fun of me for this, but I want to keep everything original spec. I replaced the 16s with the 17s when I bought it because the tires were bald and the sticker specified 17s. He should have the 17s.

That being said, the 17s it has are 265 70 17 but the sticker says 275 60 17. On the second (“Mr. Big”) Expedition I had the chrome 17s with that 275 size Coopers that were very wide and Goodyear RS-A that were almost too small but oh so comfortable.

Noob looking for help omg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Technically it's a 275/65r17 if you want it exactly the same. That being said, you can go up to a 275/70, or 285/60, and they'll all clear. I'm a believer in keeping the gears, the speedo the same, others will argue, and say this and that will work. Bottom line you mount a tire one front, one rear turn steering wheel, check clearance back by a quarter panel for clearance. Worse thing is having a tire rub for 30,000 miles. Happened to me on my old 56 VW bug, way back in the Disco days, when I went from a scrawny 165sr15 to a 185/70r15 and new chrome wheels. Luckily it was minimal. Now if I went with a 65 or 60 profile, probably wouldn't have scraped at all.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JB02Exp

JB02Exp

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I’m looking to get him back to OEM/ Security or at least Police spec.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OMG, she's a beauty. Looks like my 02 but in MUCH better shape. If you ever want to sell, let me know, lol.

brhulen

Reaction score
We own a 1997 XLT 2WD with over 187,000 on the clock. When I last changed the tires I put on a set of 235 85R 16's on her. Yes the ride is a little harsher but they gave it a nice lift in the process and it looks better IMHO! There is plenty of clearance and no rub issues. Didn't seen to make any noticeable difference in the speedometer accuracy either.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I have the same rims. My door spec is 265/70/17. That truck, looks like its in nice shape. I would Keep those Goodyears. I think the white letters, look better, however.

brhulen

Reaction score
I went with 235 85R 16's on our 97 2WD Expedition. It gave what appears to be a significant lift and yes the ride is a little harsher. Hasn't had a measurable impact on the performance and the speedometer seems to remain unchanged in accuracy. When we wore those out I went ahead and replaced with the same size but Costco refused to mount them on the vehicle so I had to make a couple of trips from home and then install on the Expy myself. The drawback is they won't do the free tire rotation and it also voids their warranty. Small price to pay as I've never had an issue with those tires anyhow. They are made to take a beating and seem to last forever.