Need help ID-ing issue with bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Marksfps

Reaction score
Don't do that. The noise was on the right side, right? You swapped the bearing didn't chsnge? If your noise is definitely on the passenger side, did you make sure the tire direction is correct? I've seen people have them backwards.Check that next. Jack the front up, run it, turn wheels, engage/unengage 4 wheel drive. Remove right front axle temporarily. See if noise changes. If you've elimanated the 4 wheel drive vacuum solenoids, and vacuum going to them, and your sure the tires/ wheels/ brakes are all sound, your looking at front differential.Thats the logical next step. Run a obd diagnostic to be sure.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

I'll check the tire direction. Maybe somehow they're on the wrong side I'll swap those around see what that does.
I'm certain now that the front axels are not engaging or turning. The front tires are moving free of everything

OP
OP
M

Marksfps

Reaction score
I'm not 100% which side the nose is on btw.
I just it disappears when turning right and gets worse turning left.

OP
OP
M

Marksfps

Reaction score
Don't do that. The noise was on the right side, right? You swapped the bearing didn't chsnge? If your noise is definitely on the passenger side, did you make sure the tire direction is correct? I've seen people have them backwards.Check that next. Jack the front up, run it, turn wheels, engage/unengage 4 wheel drive. Remove right front axle temporarily. See if noise changes. If you've elimanated the 4 wheel drive vacuum solenoids, and vacuum going to them, and your sure the tires/ wheels/ brakes are all sound, your looking at front differential.Thats the logical next step. Run a obd diagnostic to be sure.

I reread your post.
To clarify, it's not the front CV axels, they are fully disengaged. I have confirmed that.
I have never been able to successfully locate which side the sound was on. Really hard to tell.
I have a brand new bearing on the pass side, my tires are the toyo h/T open country M+S that do not have a tread direction, but I swapped them anyway. After swapping them, the sound is still there, and it goes away if I turn ever so slightly to the right and gets worse when I turn left.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a click ( loud as hell ) that would go away in a turn. Swore up and down it was the cv. Finally found it to be a worn brake pad ( down to the metal ). Specifically the pad on the back side of the rotor, front passenger.

OP
OP
M

Marksfps

Reaction score
Uodate:
Absolutely out of ideas.
2 new bearings on front.
Brakes and rotors are perfect
CVs are 100% disengaged
Swapped tires around.
The only thing I haven't done is put the front tires on the back and back to front.
It's still progressively loud starting at 30 and gets super super loud at 75mph.
Still quiets down to nothing turning right

Any more ideas? Lol
Is it possible I'm just looking at an unbalanced tire or misalignment? Because I feel absolutely no wobbling in the steering wheel .

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alignment only causes pulling problems, usually due to adjustment being off. I can't tell you how many think alignment caused tire shaking, it doesn't! Tire balance causes shaking, usually shows up in a steering wheel shake that starts around 40 mph or higher, and gets worse as speed increases. Have you inspected all the front end parts, like ball joints, tie rods , etc. At this point you may have to have an expert do further diagnoses. You've eliminated most of the most common problems, and your shake and noise is still there. Take it to a front end expert that's well versed in four wheel drive.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something like this is hard to diagnose without actually hearing or feeling for ourselves. I'm at a loss without driving it myself. Seems like you've done everything you can do and everything that would've been or has been offered to resolve the issue.

Can you post a video of the issue?