Need input!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chakakan

Reaction score
Ok guys this is a slightly long story but bear with me. I recently bought a '02 EXP sport 5.4. Have had no major problems til this morning. Wife drives it up the street and here is what happened.....
1) Low washer fluid light and 4x4 light flash together
2) Lose radio (including display)
3) Lose all window controls
4) Lose all controls on column multi switch (wipers and rear wiper)
5) Shut truck off and remove key....buzzer stays on with no keys in it, no lights on..

I drive it and it is intermitten so I assume bad ground wire under the dash because it seems to kick on and off when you hit the brake pedal. After awhile it quits completely...til tonight. I am at a friends house standing on the front porch B.S.ing when I hear music...look toward the driveway and realize its my expedition and my wipers are GOING!!! marker lights are on and then the real kicker....IT TRIED TO START SEVERAL TIMES!!!! all this and the keys are in my pocket! no remote start that I am aware of from previous owner. With the certain holiday coming up this weekend and the fact the last part happened at 1am in the pouring rain.....kinda freaked the you know what out of me and my friend.....Anybody have any ideas...Im thinking something bad in the column due to the attempted starting but not sure what...HELP!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
common issue. you said it happened in the rain. go change or reseal your windshield. the water is leaking down into the fuse box underneath the dash. you might as well go get that changed too. just to be on the safe side.

BigDaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Panda's right. I had this issue once or twice in the past year. The GEM (generic electronic module, IIRC) is getting wet.

Each time it happened to me, I let the truck sit for a while and it dried out with no problems. Strangely, the past few months, we have had much more rainfall than usual and I have not had an issue. Of course, now that I've said that...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
LIke others have said, the GEM module is getting wet and leading to what you are seeing. Reseal your windshield and dry out the GEM module and see what you have then.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^^^^^+4. GEM got wet from bad windshield seal or leaking sunroof that ran down A Pillar (but usually that just leaves a puddle on passenger footwell.).

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
The truth is your expy is possessed!! Should be great for Halloween!!

OK..Sorry...maybe not.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truth is your expy is possessed!! Should be great for Halloween!!

OK..Sorry...maybe not.

Ok, if resealing the winshield doesn't help, then hollar for Baker and ask him to do an exorsicm(I think that is how it is spelled). If that doesn't work, put a rope around it and charge admission so the public can watch a vehicle do things by it self :lol:

OP
OP
C

chakakan

Reaction score
Gem

Ok....so far I have removed GEM (I think..if it mounts to the back of the interior fusebox) and truck still tries to start....Ideas?