New 2 me 1999 Ex 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So let me get this straight, you hook it up, burn the computer chip, then you can unhook it correct? Or do you have to leave it plugged in?

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So let me get this straight, you hook it up, burn the computer chip, then you can unhook it correct? Or do you have to leave it plugged in?

When I got the handheld unit in the mail, I read the directions and it states that I needed to connect it to my computer by way of the supplied USB and get the necessary updates for my application. I came to a upload issue and I called EDGE and the tech guy told me that it was not necessary as the EVO/HT was rather new and no updates were necessary. So I took it and plugged it into the OBDII port, when you do this it turns on, then you follow the step by step procedure. Once it comes on, it first tells you to turn the key to the on position, then it reads the stock setup from the ECU, you can actually hear this happening. Then once it uploads the stock setup and registers your VIN, it then walks you through the rest of the setup, you pick the tune you want, then you can actually take that tune and modify it to your liking, gears, shift points, tire size, etc. Then you turn the key off, then it tells you to turn the key back on and then it is reprogramming ECU for the new tune. During this couple minute upload, you can also hear this within your electronics uploading. Once the upload is complete, it will tell you to unplug it. Then you are done. The ECU is now reprogrammed the way you wanted it through the tune. Once you start it up you know right then that something is different, and once you take off, that is when you know everything is better and more performance. You can go back in at anytime to change the tune, go back to stock, or enhance the tune you have. My RPM's are in range and the Speedo is correct within 1 mph.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am thinking hard on this one!
I wonder if you can use one programmer for more than one vehicle?

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am thinking hard on this one!
I wonder if you can use one programmer for more than one vehicle?

Well with the EVO/HT, the only way you can use this on another vehicle is you have to reload your ECU back to stock. If you do not, then the programmer is locked to your VIN and at the performance mode you are set at. It holds the stock configuration in the handheld unit for a time in which you need to go back to the dealer or you are selling it or what not. But to answer your question, no you can not as long as you are using a specific tune and not at stock mode.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would only be looking to improve fuel efficiency really. Most of my demands are in 4L but it would be nice to be able to use my Expy more on the open road due to better mpg. If using the canned tune is that good, I wonder why one wouldn't just switch chips to something like this for way less money.... Of course you would have to know how good these are in advance of purchase......

http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Ford/Expedition/

Last edited:
OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no comparison between that chip and a hand held tuner. In respect to the chip, yes you will probably see gains in fuel mileage, but it is not programable for tires, gears, shift points, fuel type/grade, or other enhancements. Yes the chip is much cheaper, but you get what you pay for I guess what it boils down to.

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I received my brush guard today by FEDEX and installed it today, or should I say tonite as it was dark when I finished. I will post pics tomorrow after work.

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the CV axle Gremlin bit me again over the past week. I had to go out and get a new axle for the P/S this time. That makes a total of 3 shaft replacements in the past 3 months due to this TT lift. And keep in mind that I only lifted the front by 1.25" instead of full twist. The boots are at a angle to allow friction with the ribs of the boots are rubbing one another as I drive. And is causing the boot to split at the inner rib. This TT lift is junk in my opinion.

As I mentioned to another member early today, I am going to start piecing together my parts needed to do the solid axle swap using a D60 up front and a Sterling in the rear. Far more reliable and less chance of small part failure and get rid of the 1/2 crap.

SD531875.jpg
SD531874.jpg