New 2 me 1999 Ex 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1999 Ex 4x4 build thread w/pics

Let me introduce myself, I am Bill a disabled Airborne Army Vet, I am not new to the forum world as I am a MOD on another site and Lifetime member on others. So reading and searching is the norm with me, so no need for a NOOB banner, HAHA.

Well, I just purchased a 99 Ex XLT 4x4, Gold or Tan? in color yesterday. I brought it home today. It is a cream puff of sorts as the interior is a 9.7 out of 10 and the exterior is a 9 out of 10, minus a few small scratches, 0 rust and 0 dents. The drive train is clean and dry, and all bushings and or seals are in exceptional condition, has 120k on the odometer. Only downfall as I see it is that it has the 4.6 instead of the 5.4. But too good of condition to pass up for the money spent. I just went on line and purchased about 2k worth of parts to add on next week, gotta wait on the brown truck, no fun. So here is the list of parts so far, all the red words are links to the parts,....

I went to AutoZone and got a full set of Camo seat covers with matching steering wheel cover and front and rear mats, and some vent visors. I just purchased a set of Tires, Rims, a 3/2 LIFT, and a Muffler, and Tips, also a K/N FIPK, I will get all this in the mail by Thanksgiving and have it on and up and running. I am hoping everything turns out the way I have envisioned it to look. I have built and modified many Bronco's and Explorers in the past and this is my first Expedition. So I will be posting pics of the truck tomorrow. And then pics of the build within the week as the parts come in. So it looks as if I am going to be very busy for next week or so.

I have been reading alot of threads on here and this is how I came up with this set-up I am going for.

:cheers:

Last edited:
OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the before and afters. BTW I don't think the 4.6 is all that bad.

I do not think it is all that bad either but preference would of been the 5.4. I have the 4.6 in my Mark VIII, and my Mustang, but two different worlds of the 4.6 when it comes to performance. I just filled the tank all of $87.00 worth, and see what kind of mileage I will see. And after all the parts are on, then I expect a small decline in MPG with the added wt and larger tires without a gear setup to compensate. Time will tell and the gears will be my next venture.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum...but we need PROOF!!!! lol...seriously...

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would love to see some before after shots as well. We are such picture ****** on this site.

Exp099

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.. Cool igot a twin lol igot one just like yours same color except mines 5.4l well we like to see some pics

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not think it is all that bad either but preference would of been the 5.4. I have the 4.6 in my Mark VIII, and my Mustang, but two different worlds of the 4.6 when it comes to performance. I just filled the tank all of $87.00 worth, and see what kind of mileage I will see. And after all the parts are on, then I expect a small decline in MPG with the added wt and larger tires without a gear setup to compensate. Time will tell and the gears will be my next venture.

it's funny... I got a 4.6l and filled the tank with 26 gallons and yes..they do have a 26 Gallon tank!!! and I can't get the picture of the prrof to post :( but I got 410 miles out of the tank.. worked out to be 15.76mpg!!!!!!!! seems a little high but might have overfilled a bit or still had more gas left when I filled up... anyway... true it is a tad underpowered... but I am getting to like the motor!!! Congrats on the purchase!!!

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum.... good list of mods you have planned... I used to have camo seat covers but some how they ended up in my fathers grand cherokee.... think my wife had something to do with that...lol