New 2006 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbri7870

Reaction score
Just got home with our new 2006 Eddie Bauer, and couldn't be happier. Just like you guys said the TPMS is bad but I'm not too worried about it, I have a pressure gauge.

They didn't give us the code for the keypad but someone told it's printed on the bottom side of the steering wheel. Haven't found it yet but haven't really dug deep. Anybody know about this?

Sounds like it might need a front wheel bearing. Was looking at Detroit Axle, I used them for some suspension parts for my Town Car and so far so good. Anybody used their bearings on an Expy? I hate to pay $130 each for Timkin when I can get 2 delivered from Detroit Axle for $100.

I think that's all for now, will see what else I can find tomorrow. And always, I thank you in advance for your support.

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats! I'm pretty sure I like my 06 better than my first xpy, an 07. Love the lack of computer traction/stability assistance and true LSD. (Because once in my 07 I was going around a turn with a fellow in the lane next to me, at a pretty good speed. Advancetrac decided I was about to spin or overrotate and so applied the right rear wheel brake; pulling me into the lane and nearly into the vehicle beside me.. With little warning.. Yes I was going a bit too fast.

Problems with my 06 out of the gate:
Ventilation door switch between defrost and other positions sluggish
Right wheel hub noisy. (These don't have 'bearings' its a bigger self contained hub unit. Replaced. (I'm going to do the other three in the spring.)
Paint peeling on tailgate and front of hood.

Maintenance I did right away:

New Motorcraft plugs and coils. A grand right there but worth it for a Triton you want to keep for another 100K. Run a bottle of seafoam in the gas first and after.
New rear diff fluid and friction modifier
Oil change - 5W-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic
Bottle of Gumout Regaine Fuel system treatment (worked GREAT)

Check to make sure your noise is not a bad Integrated Wheel End - the part that disengages when you put the truck in 2WD. Ie... if you hear the scraping and switch to A4WD or 4WD and it goes away... it's the iwe and probably vacuum unit ($20 part).

OP
OP
B

bigbri7870

Reaction score
Thanks guys, already found the code for the keypad, it was right where you said it would be.

Ours is a 2wd so I'm thinking it pretty much has to be the wheel hub. What brand hub did you go with?

I was actually just reading all the posts about seafoam, going through the brake booster vacuum line, some people say through the PCV....I will be putting new plugs in next week (once my plug extractor tool gets here) so I really want to make sure I have the seafoam process down first. steelnewfie you said you used seafoam in the gas before and after but then said you used gumout fuel system treatment, did you use both?

Anybody notice rough idle for the first few seconds upon cold start? Once it drops in RPM's is smooths out. I hate the 2K rpm start....

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No rough idle here upon startup, though I don't get any true cold starts as it's always over 25'C here.. hehe.. :) Hopefully the rough idle will smooth out when you replace the plugs. I recommend replacing the rubber boots and springs on the coils while you're at it.

And don't forget a dab of dielectric grease in the boots upon reassembly. :)

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For brand of wheel hub I'd go to rockauto, input your vehicle specifications, and then look for the selections with a little "heart" next to them. Indicates the units most often purchased. I had to get a motorcraft part as mine failed at an inopportune time and I ended up paying over three hundred for the part and another couple for the labor.

I'd go with the cheapest heart selection on rockauto. Make sure you get the proper ones for your drivetrain (4WD vs RWD)