new 2nd gen owner from 1st gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow....big difference with rear suspension being independent. truck feels like a caddy compared to my 98. 1st gen felt like truck....plus 2nd gen feels heavier....idk. i own it now. 84000 miles $3000 i had to get im second owner,truck still smells like leather.

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on the two versions, jury is still out for me. Would like to hear your opinion on overall which is better after you get some seat and wrench time in. Definitely 2nd gen rides like a cloud... very smooth for long trips. Overall I am wondering if the first gen is heavier duty for heavier usage offroad, etc.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First gen's make a better off road vehicle due to the truck suspension, and solid axle. It's more f150 like. Personally I'd like the Squishy ride of the 2nd and third gen's. Living just outside of San Francisco, I could care less for 4 wheel drive, but if off-road is your thing, early ones might be the way to go.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
aircargoo

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its a cruiser...put 3200 miles on her already. got 87000 i think now.did brakes entirely,belts and pullys.upper radiater clap too.was rusted broke,good thing i saw that.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 05 4x4 lifted with 35s, we go off-roading quite often and the truck performs very well with no issues. The 2nd gens do have limitations in how much you can raise them (3.5F/2.5R) is max where you can lift the 1st Gens like any truck. One thing that helps the second gen off road is that Ford put the underpinnings (minus rear independent) straight from the FX4 of the time which has proven in my case very capable.