New backup lights, where to wire into?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikiedoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just got me a set of the white night backup lights for my towing package. I am going to wire them in and need info on wiring. It has a black, red , and yellow wires ( 3 total ) . I know that the black is ground.
Red is 12 volt and yellow is to be wired into reverse lights.
Im looking for a reverse light and 12volt constant wires on the 7 pin harness.
Anyone have info on the diagram colors?
Someone mentioned to me that factory black was the 12v and purple was the reverse....can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
So it sounds like they have a built in relay. The red needs to go to a constant hot (from the battery) and the yellow is the trigger, which goes to the hot side of the stock back up lamp.

It's similar to the way I had to wire my backup camera.
You may just have to get out the volt meter and find the correct wire for the backing light.

OP
OP
Mikiedoo

Mikiedoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Tony,

Like a dummy, I should have tested these before mounting and taking a bunch of time wiring up. Come to find out, nothing I did would make them light up. I removed them and put on my bench in my shop to test... I connected straight to a battery ( yellow and red together , black to ground post on battery ) and the relay would click but no lighting at all.
I called the guy that produces these and he admitted that there was some complaints with faulty switches, relays. I sent the junk back.
Im going with the kc hilite back up kit this coming week.