New big V8 coming (?) Will it be available in the Expedition ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I sure hope Ford does not drop ecoboost.
If they do I am no longer a FORD buyer
First, Ford would not willingly drop EcoBoost ! It has been hugely successful i selling millions of vehicles. As I stated, the particulate emission standards is coming from CARB and EPA. The could use a particulate trap like the diesels, but those are expensive and waste fuel.

Second, the latest version if the 3.5L EcoBoost in the F150 uses 6 direct injectors AND 6 port injectors. I have been told, that while this is expensive, it also reduces particulate emissions.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I sure hope Ford does not drop ecoboost.
If they do I am no longer a FORD buyer
I have had 4 of them first 2 over 100k miles with no problems
Performance a lot better than any large V8
You could not sell me a N/A V8 engine anymore
You said you are 72 and retired "emission engineer"? How could you own 4 ecoboost and put 200,000mi on 2 alone? I swear Ford pays people to post raves and disinformation, about there stuff. By the way, this a Expedition forum. Do you own one?

Last edited:

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You said you are 72 and retired "emission engineer"? How could you own 4 ecoboost and put 200,000mi on 2 alone? I swear Ford pays people to post raves and disinformation, about there stuff. By the way, this a Expedition forum. Do you own one?
Ford did not pay me anything
I was not employed by ford
The company I worked for was not a Ford supplier
I had a 2011 F150 ECO Boost Truck
I had a 2013 Flex with the 3.5L ecoboost
I put 100K on both of them
Now that I am retired I drive a lot less
Have a 2016 Explorer Sport with 35K miles on it & a 2103 Taurus SHO with 22K miles on it
I have no affiliation with Ford
They do not pay me anything
I have paid them a lot over the past 7 years though
I am only on this forum because I am considering the purchase of a 2018 Expedition & am interested to see what others are saying about the 2018 model
Wish they offered the 400hp engine on the XLT 4x4 FX4 model
Not sure why my comments would upset anyone
The info on turbo engines is accurate

Last edited:

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, Ford would not willingly drop EcoBoost ! It has been hugely successful i selling millions of vehicles. As I stated, the particulate emission standards is coming from CARB and EPA. The could use a particulate trap like the diesels, but those are expensive and waste fuel.

Second, the latest version if the 3.5L EcoBoost in the F150 uses 6 direct injectors AND 6 port injectors. I have been told, that while this is expensive, it also reduces particulate emissions.
I am aware of the dual injection system. Toyota has used it for several years on several of their V6 families as well
There a probably other mfg who do so as well
were you employed at Ford?
You seem to have some inside information

OP
OP
T

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
were you employed at Ford?
Yes. I worked at the Dearborn Research and Engineering Center. I have been retired for over 10 years.
You seem to have some inside information
Very little these days ! The only person I talk to regularly who still works there is a contractor who has nothing to do with product development. (The tip I picked up about the diesel in F150 was from 2 years ago and has been confirmed in several publications.)

The 6.2L always was supposed to be the mid-sized of 3 engines. Poor fuel economy on the small version made Ford scramble and come up with the Coyote in a very short period of time. A couple of prototypes of the BIG brother were made, but for unknown reasons (possibly poor cooling), development never progressed. Discussion of renewed development on this engine pops up every few years on various forums, especially in the context of medium duty trucks (F650/F750). If Ford really wants to be a "player" in that market, which is having an increased demand for gasoline engines, they need something with a lot more power than just the Boss (6.2L) bored out to 7.0L !

If the latest rumors of a bigger version of the Boss are true, it is going to need a lot of "top end" work ! Better cylinder head (3 valve ?) and maybe even a cast in exhaust manifold with cooling jackets. Both of those are SWAGs.

Last edited:

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. I worked at the Dearborn Research and Engineering Center. I have been retired for over 10 years.

Very little these days ! The only person I talk to regularly who still works there is a contractor who has nothing to do with product development. (The tip I picked up about the diesel in F150 was from 2 years ago and has been confirmed in several publications.)

The 6.2L always was supposed to be the mid-sized of 3 engines. Poor fuel economy on the small version made Ford scramble and come up with the Coyote in a very short period of time. A couple of prototypes of the BIG brother were made, but for unknown reasons (possibly poor cooling), development never progressed. Discussion of renewed development on this engine pops up every few years on various forums, especially in the context of medium duty trucks (F650/F750). If Ford really wants to be a "player" in that market, which is having an increased demand for gasoline engines, they need something with a lot more power than just the Boss (6.2L) bored out to 7.0L !

If the latest rumors of a bigger version of the Boss are true, it is going to need a lot of "top end" work ! Better cylinder head (3 valve ?) and maybe even a cast in exhaust manifold with cooling jackets. Both of those are SWAGs.
Interesting
I spent a lot of time in flint working with the engineers at Delphi & GMSPO but have been retired for about 12 years now
Good to know a fellow engineer

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Interesting
GM had a 8.1L engine which produced 450lb ft of torque but it was pretty thirsty compared to a diesel
Think they discontinued it & Mercruiser & Generac bought tooling rights for boats & gensets

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford did not pay me anything
I was not employed by ford
The company I worked for was not a Ford supplier
I had a 2011 F150 ECO Boost Truck
I had a 2013 Flex with the 3.5L ecoboost
I put 100K on both of them
Now that I am retired I drive a lot less
Have a 2016 Explorer Sport with 35K miles on it & a 2103 Taurus SHO with 22K miles on it
I have no affiliation with Ford
They do not pay me anything
I have paid them a lot over the past 7 years though
I am only on this forum because I am considering the purchase of a 2018 Expedition & am interested to see what others are saying about the 2018 model
Wish they offered the 400hp engine on the XLT 4x4 FX4 model
Not sure why my comments would upset anyone
The info on turbo engines is accurate
Welcome to the Forum.

Rj is a troll and an EcoBoost hater. He doesn't even own one probably never has driven one but he always shows up and bashes the EB any time it comes up. You don't have to justify anything to him. Don't waste your energy on him.

hunter991

Reaction score
I have read about problems with the eco b over time of ownership and have yet to run into anyone who has had problems. I like the idea and the motor certainly makes HP and Torque. I almost bought a 2017 expy but ended up with a Tahoe Premier.

The main point for me was the eco didn't get the gas mileage i would think its capable achieving. Basically it was the same mileage as my Sequioa. I got 24.3 mpg with my tahoe yesterday going 64 in a 55.. Thats amazing actually and still ended up with 22.3 mpg at 77 mph on cruise. Drove 265 miles to my cabin on half tank of gas. Very pleased with that.

The eco is capable of doing better i think. But still doesn't. Ford also needed the 2018 redesign. I couldn't do the 2017. It was a truck thru and thru.