New custom valve body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spooky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had Darrin from BCA Transmissions build me a custom valve body for my Expy transmission. I wasn't having any issues with my transmission, but the valve body I got from Darrin for my Crown Vic completely changed the performance of the car. It took almost 3 months for me to get time, but I finally got it installed.

I wasn't looking for something as dramatic with this one, a SUV is a different animal, but it did make a noticeable difference. After my first week with the body in, I've noticed the quicker shifts, especially under heavy acceleration. I no longer have a long lag when shifting from reverse into drive....that alway annoyed me.

I also always had a lag when it gets under 30 degrees and the Expy wasn't warmed up yet, almost like the tranny was slipping. I haven't noticed that either with the new VB.

I haven't towed anything with the new VB yet, but it should help with that as well. All in all, I think it was a good Mod. As soon as I get my belt slippage issue worked out, I will see exactly what it will do under full acceleration.

I went with Darrin because he does a version of the J-Mod on the VB, which is a modification of the plate as designed by the Ford engineer who designed the transmission and it uses OEM Ford parts. It's not a crappy "shift kit" that uses questionable parts.

sk8ordie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
please post results when you get the belt fixed and cost to have this done. i had a 99 s10 4.3 V6 and installed the B&M stage 2 shift kit... made a world of difference. would love to have something similar for the X. and using factory parts is a plus

OP
OP
Spooky

Spooky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new VB is holding strong. The shifts are quick and there is a SOTP increase in pick up. Probably due to it shifting quick and actually getting up to speed quicker. The best part is getting rid of the Neutral to Reverse lag. I hated that with a passion! I'll look up what I spent and post it when I get CONUS again.

OP
OP
Spooky

Spooky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just checked my emails and I paid $250 for the complete 'drop in' VB. I went this route instead of just doing the plate with the modifications because there are 2 (if memory serves) springs that can be replaced to help shifting and I didn't want to mess around with all of the springs and balls.

sk8ordie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sweet thanks spooky, next question is did you have to send him your VB or did he send one that you swapped out and send your old VB back to him. kinda like a core.

last request is could you PM me his or his company info?

DRS1

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. And they are close by for me...

Genesis 2012 TAU 5.0
Sent from my iPhone using Tap..