New guy checking in!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi ya'll, I figured I would check in since I just joined up today!

I just got my '18 Platinum trim back from the dealer recently after some substantial (and surprising?) work that had to be done.

Firstly, the engine temp was hovering around the max level and the cooling fan was running constantly for a few days, turns out the transmission cooler lines were leaking at the trans cooler (front water pump to trans cooler line) had a leak. I asked why I hadn't seen any evidence of the coolant (pink stuff) on the ground and they said it would only leak when it was pressurized...makes sense!

Secondly, the rear main oil seal was leaking! This was a big 2 day job that required removal of the transmission from the vehicle. I was worried the shifting would be compromised after this work is completed but you never know, but I do notice some clunking when shifting from P to D to R etc...

Third, they replaced the centre high mount stop light as some of the LED bulbs were burned out and there was quite a bit of water / condensation in there.

Finally, I am seeing on a couple of occasions (only when it rains) that the trailer disconnect, trailer connect, rear tail lights malfunction warnings and chimes occur. Hopefully that will be a quick fix on the next visit.

That's it so far, but overall this rig is sweet. Power is crazy, especially when you feed it 94 Octane.

Anyone do anything with the EXPEDITION letters on the rear hatch? I was thinking of getting the black inserts but I would love to see pics first to see if it works or not.

Thomas Nepper

Reaction score
Wow! Not sure I could maintain the exuberance with those major problems. I'm a newbie with my Expedition xlt max. There's a lot of electronics and mechanical complicity on this vehicle and I am hoping Ford is up to it. I came from a '14 Sequoia and never touched it. From everything I'm reading on this site, I wont own this vehicle without an extended warranty.

OP
OP
Gumby

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I was not altogether enthused when I heard that the rear main oil seal was leaking. My other vehicle is a '14 Lincoln MKT with Ecoboost 3.5L and no issues whatsoever and knocking on 110,000 kms.