New member, have a few questions (EASY IM SURE)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saabkid

Reaction score
I have a 1999 EB 4wd I will be driving for the next year or 2 probably since my baby got totaled out last week. I need to do rear axle seals and bearings but am very confused about which parts to order. I see DIFFERENTIAL bearing/seal kit on rock auto but not sure if that is what i need because i also see AXLE seals and AXLE bearings but for just the front?

Can someone point me in the right direction here. I need to order the parts and drive back home to do it all while being in a different city from the truck (im at school, truck is at home)

If someone could provide me with part number or kit number and where to order this stuff that would be greatly appreciated!

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
saabkid, you do not want the differential bearing kit. That would be for the pumpkin section of your rear axle or possibly for the differential on the front of your truck.

The part you want is either:
-NATIONAL Part # R1561TV
-NATIONAL Part # RP1561FO

You just need to make sure that you tell them the size of rear end you have (you could have either an 8.8" rear or 9.75" rear, but odds are, you have the 9.75" rear based on being the EB and 4x4).

Looking on Rock Auto, they are not making it clear exactly what you are getting. Be cautious of anything that says "Race" That would be only a part of what you are after (a bearing consists of a race and a bearing assembly). The bearing assembly rides on the race.

OP
OP
S

saabkid

Reaction score
saabkid, you do not want the differential bearing kit. That would be for the pumpkin section of your rear axle or possibly for the differential on the front of your truck.

The part you want is either:
-NATIONAL Part # R1561TV
-NATIONAL Part # RP1561FO

You just need to make sure that you tell them the size of rear end you have (you could have either an 8.8" rear or 9.75" rear, but odds are, you have the 9.75" rear based on being the EB and 4x4).

Looking on Rock Auto, they are not making it clear exactly what you are getting. Be cautious of anything that says "Race" That would be only a part of what you are after (a bearing consists of a race and a bearing assembly). The bearing assembly rides on the race.

the 2 part #s are going to be the wheel bearings correct? I also need the rear axle seals also which is this part # correct? Buy National Oil Seal 100357 at Advance Auto Parts

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
saabkid, yes, the numbers I posted are the bearings and you have the seal number.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Races are easy, if possible use a brass drift and knock them out with a hammer. You usually have to give them a good wack, alternate one side to the other. Always wear safety glasses or goggles. The race can chip while it is being driven out and of course it always heads for an unprotected eye.
Used the old race to start the new race in the hub. Old race on top of the new race, tap into the hub without installing both races. Use the brass drift to finish driving the race in. You will hear a change in the sound once it seats after being driven all the way in.

***I used the old race to drive new races in on the buses I worked on. You may not have to do that with the smaller races the cars use.***

Last edited:

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stamp we use the old race on semis however the ones on cars and trucks drive much easier. I use a soft cold rolles steel race punch to get them out at work. Have used a screw driver on lighter vehicles. However if uve never replaced races dont use a screwdriver. You could scar the hub