New Tires - 2018 Platinum

Which tires should I go with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdWeg

Reaction score
Tires are another soo personal a choice; but, on my previously owned 2007 Expy XLT, when I had to replace tires, I put on a set of
Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Season - and loved them! They looked good and ran good too - never a problem. Good Luck in choosing your new tires. Have had same issues with refusals to plug; but, once done, everything was fine. They're all playing 'cover their arse'.

OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone! It's been a crazy week and I haven't had a chance to get the Expy into a tire shop for a second opinion. I'll report back on that when I do though.

After some more research I am leaning more towards the Michelin LTX Premier, they seem to fit my criteria the best. I would love to have something with the looks of the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, but unfortunately those just don't fit my use case well enough to be worth the performance sacrifice for appearances.

Michael D Morris

Reaction score
Two questions...

It looks like my driver's side rear tire picked up a nail in the tread about 1-1.5" from the inside sidewall. The dealership says it's too close to the sidewall to be repaired. I have a plug kit, how dangerous do you think it would be to repair this myself and keep it?

Second, if I do have to replace it I'm thinking I'd probably get a whole new matching set. I'd like something more aggressive looking and slightly larger if possible, but realistically this vehicle will hardly ever see any real off-road use. I'm in the midwest so we get all the seasons and I want something that will do well in ice, snow and wet weather as well as being decent on the highway for road trips. After a bit of initial research PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS II and BFGOODRICH ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT tires seem like some of the best options for my needs. Does anyone have experience with these tires or have suggestions for something better?

Thanks!!

Look at the tire ratings from Tire Rack and Consumer Reports before buying. The Goodyears don't even show up.

EdWeg

Reaction score
Guess you have to learn to search the site better - I found them; though rated lower than I'd put on today.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put on Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my 2017. So far, the dry and wet traction is MUCH better than the OEM Hankook ATMs.

Wally Rayban

Reaction score
Try an independent tire shop to see if they’ll repair. I’d think they would. If you want to go up then go for it. We just put 305/45r22 Hankook Dynapro AT2 on our platinum and are liking them so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have photos, I'd love to see what your car looks like with them on? I'm torn between the rugged look and the stock look. Thank you

Gillbrak

Reaction score
Do you have photos, I'd love to see what your car looks like with them on? I'm torn between the rugged look and the stock look. Thank you

91262ea96dceb285b34fe6dc7f94ba3a.jpg
518cb0e64456465ca5a1e7297249fe94.jpg
Before on stock 22s and Hankook 285/45 and after that on the Hankook Dynapro ATs and Black Rhino wheels. They’re not that aggressive. I can get more pics if you like.

EngRWW33

Reaction score
Just mounted Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S (285/45r22) on my wife's platinum max last week. So far so good, not much difference in road noise (she didn't notice) and they are very comfortable on road.
Handled the wet well this past weekend. Am looking forward to testing in the snow this year.

Gillbrak

Reaction score
Just mounted Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S (285/45r22) on my wife's platinum max last week. So far so good, not much difference in road noise (she didn't notice) and they are very comfortable on road.
Handled the wet well this past weekend. Am looking forward to testing in the snow this year.

Had those on my old tundra. Great tires in the snow!