New Tires - 2018 Platinum

Which tires should I go with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
Two questions...

It looks like my driver's side rear tire picked up a nail in the tread about 1-1.5" from the inside sidewall. The dealership says it's too close to the sidewall to be repaired. I have a plug kit, how dangerous do you think it would be to repair this myself and keep it?

Second, if I do have to replace it I'm thinking I'd probably get a whole new matching set. I'd like something more aggressive looking and slightly larger if possible, but realistically this vehicle will hardly ever see any real off-road use. I'm in the midwest so we get all the seasons and I want something that will do well in ice, snow and wet weather as well as being decent on the highway for road trips. After a bit of initial research PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS II and BFGOODRICH ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT tires seem like some of the best options for my needs. Does anyone have experience with these tires or have suggestions for something better?

Thanks!!

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that 1" from sidewall is complete BS. Maybe because lawyers are involved/influenced their recommendations at the ford dealer or maybe it is just greed, etc.

A lot of tire shops (you have Les Schwab in NE?) will assess and repair for free. I picked up a small piece of metal in MT this summer and fully expected to be buying 2 new tires. Was basically through the outside shoulder. They fixed for free... I pulled the camper back to PA and am still driving on that repaired tire/it is fine...

Because I didn't pay for it, I'd assume that mitigates any liability concerns for Les Schwab.

Last oil change I was shown a barley penetrating large staple on the inside shoulder, like right on the edge. 1 tiny bubble every 20 seconds or so with the snoop/leak detect fluid(soapy water). Ford dealer wanted to replace the single tire. I looked at it and just said to set the pressures. I tried to do nice burn out (that repaired tire on opposite side) to heat up the rubber/seal it up but with little success. Doesn't matter as there has been no pressure drop since then. Lots of temp changes since, etc.

I'd also add that if the tires are closer to shot, just buy a new set. If over half life left, have it patched from inside/off rim/rebalance and call it a day.

YMMV, all about what you're comfortable with/acceptance of risk, etc.

Last edited:

Gillbrak

Reaction score
Try an independent tire shop to see if they’ll repair. I’d think they would. If you want to go up then go for it. We just put 305/45r22 Hankook Dynapro AT2 on our platinum and are liking them so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mothnuts

Reaction score
We went with the Michelin Defender’s and have been very happy with them. Sorry, no experience with those other tires tho...

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An inch is close, but I think you should be ok. 1 1/2 absolutely patch or plug. As others have said, go to a tire shop.

FWIW--My wife put Michelin Defenders on her RAV4. Nice tires, she likes them. Quiet, nice ride.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would find a shop that uses a patch/plug. It is a patch that has a plug in the center. the plug is pulled through and pulls the patch down. From the inside it looks patched and from the outside it will look plugged. The plug portion is rubber and will seal the hole to prevent water from entering the cord. It will work fine an inch from the side.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had 4 new tires on my expedition. (Not your tire brands mentioned). So I also carry a full sized spare OEM style, and decided to plug it (close to sidewall like you, right on the edge though).

So I decided to just purchase one new tire from Amazon and use the plugged one on the spare. Unsure if yours has full size spare. Just for additional insurance and if having bad luck that day, I carry a plug kit and have a 150psi Kobalt compressor and battery (and inverter if it needs charging).