new to me 08 question about rear air struts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bman440440

Reaction score
I have a new to me 08 EB with the rear load leveling option... after sitting overnight both bags are deflated... when you get back in and start it they inflate quickly and the compressor does not seem to cycle much when driving.. so my thought is that the bags are fine because it sits level (all be it lower) after several hours... where should I be checking to find the issue?

thanks for any help you can give me!!

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Leaking solenoid or bag? By not cycling much how often does it run? It should be very little unless the load is changing frequently. It doesn't take much of a leak to vent air the suspension system down, it doesn't have much volume to it.

There's clearly a leak or it wouldn't do it repeatedly after sitting for hours. Unfortunately you'll have to go through the steps to find it. It's not the most fun but at least you only have the rear rather than all 4 corners worth of lines and fittings.

OP
OP
B

bman440440

Reaction score
Leaking solenoid or bag? By not cycling much how often does it run? It should be very little unless the load is changing frequently. It doesn't take much of a leak to vent air the suspension system down, it doesn't have much volume to it.

There's clearly a leak or it wouldn't do it repeatedly after sitting for hours. Unfortunately you'll have to go through the steps to find it. It's not the most fun but at least you only have the rear rather than all 4 corners worth of lines and fittings.
I'm thinking its the solenoid now... after letting it sit on a level parking spot for 2 days it seems that the driver side is down farther by about 3" than passenger side and I did a quick check of the bags and they seem to be fairly new... so my thoughts are a leaky solenoid... do you happen to have a diagram of the air system? I want to go over the complete system and I want to have it so I don't miss anything. :cheers:

tvlunn

Reaction score
I'll share one thing with you that might be worth looking at. I had to replace the two air bags on the rear of my Expy about 2 years back as it was leaking down somewhat similar to what you have described. The bags, as they flex up and down during driving AND with age deterioration, will develop VERY SMALL hairline cracks near the base. Some days the rear end on my Expy would leak down and other days everything seemed normal. Yes, it could be something else in the system, but if the bags look similar to the photo I've posted, they definitely need changing.

Attachments

• Passenger Side_2.JPG
    Passenger Side_2.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
B

bman440440

Reaction score
I'll share one thing with you that might be worth looking at. I had to replace the two air bags on the rear of my Expy about 2 years back as it was leaking down somewhat similar to what you have described. The bags, as they flex up and down during driving AND with age deterioration, will develop VERY SMALL hairline cracks near the base. Some days the rear end on my Expy would leak down and other days everything seemed normal. Yes, it could be something else in the system, but if the bags look similar to the photo I've posted, they definitely need changing.
ok good to know... I think that I will just go a head and replace the bags and valves just just to get the eventual job out of the way... I'm new to the 3rd gen world and can you send me a link to the replacement procedure? On my 1st gen it was easy just jack it up pull a clip on top and pop the air/electric connection and done but the 3rd gen's look more involved... I don't mind doing the work but I want to be prepared as possible so any videos would be great too as well as any tips! also what bags do you recommend for a the replacements? is the strut/bag one unit? I looked on online and I'm finding some are just the bag or am I looking up the wrong thing?? Thanks!!!!

Last edited: