New to me 2018 Expedition Platinum Max CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manual does state that you can use regular or premium, although Ford recommends premium (as it does in all EcoBoosts). It also warns that you may hear some light knocking when using regular. I am happy to use what is recommended, plus I want those extra ponies!!

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine. The manual states 87 fuel can be used and recommends premium fuel for towing.

How did you determine that “Ford recommends premium (as it does in all EcoBoosts)”? What is your source of information for this statement?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine. The manual states 87 fuel can be used and recommends premium fuel for towing.

How did you determine that “Ford recommends premium (as it does in all EcoBoosts)”? What is your source of information for this statement?

Your owners manual. You’ll get maybe 20-30 hp and some tq. Nothing you’ll feel, unless you get a tune. I have a 93 performance tune and got 98whp and 102 wtq. But I also run step colder plugs, aftermarket CAI, and 22psi of boost over the stock 13

E81FEBCF-1B4F-4824-9B62-9BDE69732A71.jpeg

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the manual:
upload_2019-9-5_15-34-6.png

They recommend 91+ in all their vehicles (or at least they do for the Mustang, the F150, the Escape, the Flex, and the Explorer which are the manuals I just checked).

And the most recent manuals don't limit it to just towing as they did with the previous gens (like @16plati who nicely included the shot of his manual)

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

But hey, I am not giving anyone a hard time for using regular...if you want to run regular, you are 100% correct that the vehicle will run just fine on 87, go for it.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like mentioned above, knock will be higher on 87 even after the computer auto adjusts. Higher grade fuel lowers your knock a lot. My knock value is 0.51 at WOT with 93 and tuned. 87 stock was 8+. Anything over +3 at WOT is not good at all

OP
OP
E

EngRWW33

Reaction score
Quick update to the original post.

I dropped the car off today to the servicing dealer to diagnose and got some alarming news. The servicing dealer let us know that the engine had "work done" to it by the selling dealer (out of state) prior to sale to my wife. This "engine work" was undisclosed to us as the seller.

The servicing dealer stated that they are uncomfortable working through this code due to the unknown nature of the work which was completed prior to sale and the confusing diagnostic results that they received during their initial review.

My wife and I are working with the selling dealer's owner to make this issue right (will NOT accept this vehicle and will be demanding a return/exchange). As of now, they are collecting information internally which gives us time to sort out what we think are reasonable demands.

dj2big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to call the bank tell them to give them a check one they cash it you are stuck if the dealer is shady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk