New to me Expy, already having problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bring it to a mechanic who works mostly on Expeditions or F 150's. Most likely a camshaft variable timing problem.

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something to think about. I've heard of Camshaft Position Sensors on some Ford vehicles making a loud chirping sound when they are going bad (run dry of lubrication). So your Serpentine Belt may be fine and what you could be in fact hearing is in fact this Sensor going bad.

But then again your engine may not be equipped with this type of sensor.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something to think about. I've heard of Camshaft Position Sensors on some Ford vehicles making a loud chirping sound when they are going bad (run dry of lubrication). So your Serpentine Belt may be fine and what you could be in fact hearing is in fact this Sensor going bad.

But then again your engine may not be equipped with this type of sensor.

That synchronizer is out of a total DIFFERENT engine. OP - Ignore these videos.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't let anyone charge you $80 for a belt that takes 5 minutes to put on.
ABSOLUTELY !

The belt is about $20 on Rock Auto. Cross cjheck the price of a Gates belt on Amazon.

A Gates 38274 belt tensioner is about $25 from the same place.

Reaction score
I agree with Serp belt replacement and as for the rough idle? Prepare yourself, it could get really expensive, My 2006 Expy just had similar symptoms and it ended up being a bad timing chain tensioner which is like a $20 part but it takes a lot of labor to get to it. Regardless, please let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
Well, here's what the mechanic says it needs:

Parking brake doesn't engage (may just need adjustment)
Right rear ABS sensor is out
Fuel driver
Camshaft A sensor
Serpentine belt
Tie rod
Sway bar

It also has loose ball joints.

Total repair is about $1200.

So, I suppose I could look at this two ways. I either bought a $3000 lemon, or I bought a $5000 used Expedition in two installments. Our budget was $6000, so we're still ahead at least.

Sigh.

Glenn

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, here's what the mechanic says it needs:
Fuel (pump) driver (module)
I hope you really trust your mechanic ! I have NEVER heard of a case where the FPDM goes bad and the car would even start !!

New OEM FPDM should be about $150. Aftermarket, <$75.

I still say belts don't squeak, pulleys do !!

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Bring it to a mechanic who works mostly on Expeditions or F 150's. Most likely a camshaft variable timing problem.

I'm leaning towards this also, however they won't be able to confirm anything till they remove the valve covers