New (to me & forum) 97 XLT, got some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WacoStang

Reaction score
Howdy,

I for all practical purposes stole this '97 from a guy off craigslist about a month ago because I was being too lazy to fix the heater tube assy on my 99 Explorer and needed something to drive. He didn't know cars & was worried at 215K it was developing a serious problem. It would die when running and idled wildly. So I put an IACV on it, fuel & air filter, & PCV valve, and it idles like a top.

So here are my questions. This thing has a bench seat, which I actually like, no third row, which is fine, but it has (the bluest) Willow Green interior. From what I gather this was an option in 97-98 only, but I cant find parts for this ANYWHERE!

My main concern is the dash, as it was torn up when someone put the radio in. For the quality of the radio install, I was surprised how many clips & tabs were busted off. Making this task even harder is the fact its a 4x4, so I have to find the surround that has the switch. The other two "darker green?" parts around the cluster have seen better days, as they actually had the radio surround glued to it...

Are the bench seats the same between the F150's & Expy's? I really miss having a console that I can keep things in, and this one just has the fold down middle seat that is padded. I know the trucks with bench seats had a flip down console because my wife's 97 F150 has it.

Has anyone run a dual in/dual out muffler on these things and had dual exhaust on them? This thing had duels put on, but they cut right behind the cats and the only mufflers are two of the glass pack type straight through type, and this thing is LOUD! I like the duel exhaust, and figure the only thing there is room for is something like a dual in/dual out. Any ideas on this?

Also, to check on a couple of thing I "think" I know, but I want to add fog lights, and noticed it has the wiring already installed, so I just need lights, a switch with fogs, and maybe some fuses? And (last thing I promise) any advice on speakers? It had the "premium" radio (w only 4 speakers...) and when an aftermarket radio was installed, they bypassed the amp. Two of the speakers are shot, and the others aren't far behind. I have some takeout factory 6x8s, should I run with those or dish out a little cash for a good aftermarket set?
Thanks for your help,
Michael from TX

4303_zps500e26d3.jpg

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw one in the junk yard. The only one I have ever seen..
You could always buy another color and paint it black.
That's what I did all the gray ones where cracked and I could only find a tan(eb) one so I painted it

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! That is one of the most interesting color combos I have ever seen. To answer your questions I will try to keep them in order.

F150 and Expedition front bench is the same as far as I know.

I am certain someone has run a dual in dual out muffler. Just have a shop weld the new one in.

I would go with aftermarket speakers. They sound much clearer than the factory models and give clearer high frequency response. Depending on the brand.

Fog lights have the harness there. Just buy the units and the proper headlight switch, then mount everything in. Its plug and play.

Enjoy your steal! Looks nice!

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow, I thought I had one of the few expys with the "willow green interior" trim panels have been impossible for me to find as well,

good luck and welcome!

AggieExpo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Howdy neighbor. I'm down south of you a little ways. Any how you might be able to check if your light switch pulles out because that is how my fog lights came on in my 98 f150. If not I'd be willing to bet that you could probably buy the light switch with the fog light option so or would keep it looking stock instead of adding a toggle switch. Nice ride for sure. I miss playing Baylor!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2000 expy has the pullout feature from Ford for fog lights. My stock ones on my 4x4 were set too low. I keep messing with adjustment of lights but still don't look right. Anybody know of the adjustment aimers. And where to get them. Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett