New to the forum...extended warranty purchase question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StodgyBarley

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Just purchased a 2016 Platinum Ford Expedition yesterday and I take ownership tomorrow. It's got 92000 km so 57500 miles. I was offered an extended bumper to bumper warranty for 4 years for about $4000 Canadian.

Normally, I NEVER buy extended warranties but thought I should ask the members here if the 2016 has had any typical problems that might get me close to covering the $4000 (that's with tax) purchase price of the extended warranty. I've never owned such an expensive vehicle before nor purchased a used one with so many miles on it either so I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get it. Thanks everyone!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Shop around for the Ford warranty. Plenty of dealers sell them online for half the price you were quoted. Try Lombard Ford.

With the service life of turbochargers, I'd strongly consider a $1200, five year power train warranty, though I might wait until I reached about 95,000 miles to buy it.

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess it's a personal choice. I personally always buy an extended warranty on a used car. Last year I bought an 07 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer and bought an extended bumper to bumper warranty, which turned out to be a great investment. With one visit to the dealership for warranty work 3 months later and over $11,000 in work including cam phasers timing chain air conditioning and the cooling system, it's been running great. Did not cost me a penny. Hard to believe since we put more money into it then it would probably of cost Siri purchase the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't realize it was even an option to get a Ford extended warranty on an older/higher mileage vehicle.

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my car at CarMax they went through a third party I think it'll go up to a hundred fifty thousand miles my car only had 120000 miles on it

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It depends on the model, but I was able to by a Ford Dealers' warranty on a 2010 97,000 mile Explorer last year. I believe it's 4 years, 40,000 miles. Bought it on-line. The local dealer asked $3,600. I paid $1,300. They sent some fellow to take a ride and check the VIN.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never buy with purchase.
As soon as you register it you will get mailings, emails and phone calls for warranties.
Most of those are bad ones or way too high....but point is, don't buy when you buy vehicle.
Wait and shop. You have time. ANYTHING the dealer or salesman tells you otherwise is incorrect.
I would only get a FORD real one though.
Some people have gotten a lot of work or money out of aftermarket ones....but I am an unlucky warranty person.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4 years of warranty on a newish vehicle for $3k USD...is kinda tempting just in case.

Depends on how much you paid, how much you drive, and the fine print in the warranty I guess? And your general approach in life, do you insure to the max or to the min?

OP
OP
S

StodgyBarley

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the comments! I appreciate it! I'm usually an insure to the minimum kind of guy but never had a vehicle with turbos in it before nor all the bells and whistles like this one. I think I'll wait a few weeks and give it some more thought. It's got a power train warranty for another 5000 miles but all the electronics make me a bit nervous. Anyway, 11.5 hours until I'm driving it so I'm one excited guy! Thanks again everyone!!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the comments! I appreciate it! I'm usually an insure to the minimum kind of guy but never had a vehicle with turbos in it before nor all the bells and whistles like this one. I think I'll wait a few weeks and give it some more thought. It's got a power train warranty for another 5000 miles but all the electronics make me a bit nervous. Anyway, 11.5 hours until I'm driving it so I'm one excited guy! Thanks again everyone!!

Turbos are usually supposed to be more of a PiTA at 150 or 250, not 50k mi though? Or do you drive that much?

As to non-engine stuff, the rest is all very modular, approachable, and DIYable.... hell even the motor is probably a lot more accessible, what with sitting in a roomy V8-sized bay vs. the usual situation with turbos (dunno never wrenched on ecoboost, the triton sure was a lot more forgiving than small sedans though)

If you're leaning towards the warranty, re-read what's actually included in it and what isn't. And what's required to keep it up.... maybe it's even just a trap for 4 years of costly must-be-done-here overpriced scheduled maintenance at extortionate rates?

Also... what % of your purchase price is the warranty?