Extended warranty……?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im in one of the most expensive states in the USA to live in... Massachusetts .My PremiumCare ESP with all options included (LED Lighting, etc) is $3200 for a 60 month/48,000 miles plan. But of course it varies I guess state to state

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought a 96mo/60k (we don't drive it that much) Premier Care from Granger Ford for $1,300.

ryanpe

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited and like you, from reading this forum I too went ahead and secured a 7yr 150,000 Platinum warranty from Flood Ford for $2300 before I exhausted my 3yr factory warranty. This was my first new Ford purchase ever and my first extended warranty on anything I've ever bought. Fortunately, with 55K on her (26K towing 6K# TT) my only failure has been a leaky front CCD shock. It has been a wonderful truck for us and has exceeded my initial expectations. If it continues to perform as it has, it won't be my last new Ford for sure. Good luck!

steve webster

Reaction score
I’ve searched but don’t see a direct answer. Subject vehicle is a 2021 STX Exp. With about 31,000 on the clock. Curious as to how many turbo/transmission issues are actually being encountered. Never have purchased an extended warranty in my 40 plus years of car ownership but reading posts here, gets me thinking. Thinking about a power train extension to 10 yr. 100,000 miles. Cost is a little over 1200.00 from granger, 200.00 deductible.

Any polls as to how many failures as %?

Any polls as to how many have extended warranty?
I purchased a 2020 Exp with 31K in Jan of 21, I bought the extended warranty direct from Ford for around $2900 6yrs/125k miles. It’s paid for itself transmission went out at 93,000 miles and one of the auto running boards stopped working. I plan to trade mine when I hit 125K at the end of the year for a newer one and purchase the warranty direct from Ford again.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI....I understand the prices go up April 4 on Ford ESP's. If you're thinking about it, think fast. Not sure how much the increase is, but.....

Craig Payne

Reaction score
I took a route similar to a few others on this thread. Bought a used 2018 Max Platinum years ago that we work pretty hard and wanted the best extended warranty I could get. I got a quote from Ziegler in advance and took it with me when I bought the Expedition. The dealer matched it no questions asked. For a general list, I have had:
- 3 Repairs for the cam phasers and some associated pieces
- 2 Repairs for the transmission
- 2 Repairs for the rear seat entertainment system
- 1 Repair on the fuel pump (Didn't even know this problem existed but the tech noticed it during a visit for something else and fixed it for me)
- 1 Repair on the turbo
- 1 Replacement of the rear evaporator
- 1 Repair of the cylinder head and head gasket (We're pretty sure this issue was caused during the work on the cam phasers)
- 1 Repair on the thermostat
- 2 Repairs on the coolant hoses (first I paid for because they're hoses, 2nd they paid for because it was within a year of the first)
- 1 Replacement of one of the LED headlight assemblies

To be honest, the warranty almost paid for itself after the headlight assembly alone when the service person showed me just how much the assemblies cost on parts alone. On top of this, keep in mind that every single one of these visits, I was given a loaner vehicle covered by the warranty while mine was repaired. Needless to say, it has more than paid for itself for me. I'm mostly worried that I'm almost to the mileage limit of my extended warranty and hopeful that I won't continue to experience issues from there. The 2018's definitely had the worst of the issues, and to make it worse, the used one I bought seems to be one of the early ones off the line by the original service dates.

One thing to keep in mind when deciding on a warranty is that people tend to think in absolute's in either a situation like mine with tons of work needed on the vehicle, or a situation where they will never use the warranty and the entire cost is "peace of mind", but keep in mind most people will probably fall in the middle there. You might use it a little and maybe make some of that money back, which lowers the cost of whatever "peace of mind" the warranty is granting you. I would just decide how long you plan to own the vehicle. The money for repairs is coming out of your pocket somehow, either eventually in the moment or now as a hedge against those future repairs. You're probably just as unlikely to end up with 20 different repairs as you are to end up with none. You just have to decide which you think will put you in a better situation, and feel at peace knowing you will never know for sure which route was the best one until after it's done.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took a route similar to a few others on this thread. Bought a used 2018 Max Platinum years ago that we work pretty hard and wanted the best extended warranty I could get. I got a quote from Ziegler in advance and took it with me when I bought the Expedition. The dealer matched it no questions asked. For a general list, I have had:
- 3 Repairs for the cam phasers and some associated pieces
- 2 Repairs for the transmission
- 2 Repairs for the rear seat entertainment system
- 1 Repair on the fuel pump (Didn't even know this problem existed but the tech noticed it during a visit for something else and fixed it for me)
- 1 Repair on the turbo
- 1 Replacement of the rear evaporator
- 1 Repair of the cylinder head and head gasket (We're pretty sure this issue was caused during the work on the cam phasers)
- 1 Repair on the thermostat
- 2 Repairs on the coolant hoses (first I paid for because they're hoses, 2nd they paid for because it was within a year of the first)
- 1 Replacement of one of the LED headlight assemblies

To be honest, the warranty almost paid for itself after the headlight assembly alone when the service person showed me just how much the assemblies cost on parts alone. On top of this, keep in mind that every single one of these visits, I was given a loaner vehicle covered by the warranty while mine was repaired. Needless to say, it has more than paid for itself for me. I'm mostly worried that I'm almost to the mileage limit of my extended warranty and hopeful that I won't continue to experience issues from there. The 2018's definitely had the worst of the issues, and to make it worse, the used one I bought seems to be one of the early ones off the line by the original service dates.

One thing to keep in mind when deciding on a warranty is that people tend to think in absolute's in either a situation like mine with tons of work needed on the vehicle, or a situation where they will never use the warranty and the entire cost is "peace of mind", but keep in mind most people will probably fall in the middle there. You might use it a little and maybe make some of that money back, which lowers the cost of whatever "peace of mind" the warranty is granting you. I would just decide how long you plan to own the vehicle. The money for repairs is coming out of your pocket somehow, either eventually in the moment or now as a hedge against those future repairs. You're probably just as unlikely to end up with 20 different repairs as you are to end up with none. You just have to decide which you think will put you in a better situation, and feel at peace knowing you will never know for sure which route was the best one until after it's done.
Thats alot of work for a newer 2018 sheesh. Ford get it together

Danm355

Reaction score
I purchased the Ford Extended warranty on my 2022 Expedition and it is well worth it because of the electronics. Some of these repairs can be very expensive.

Rossue

Reaction score
I purchased a 2020 Exp with 31K in Jan of 21, I bought the extended warranty direct from Ford for around $2900 6yrs/125k miles. It’s paid for itself transmission went out at 93,000 miles and one of the auto running boards stopped working. I plan to trade mine when I hit 125K at the end of the year for a newer one and purchase the warranty direct from Ford again.
What state are you in?

omandave

Reaction score
We bought our used 2019 Limited Expedition in Aug 2023 (104K miles). our transmission was replaced for our $200 deductible in February 2024. We bought the 4 year extended warranty for $1500 best ROI ever. the transmission cost our warranty company $7800. we still get teh remaining 3.5 years for the transmission. it came with 2 yr 100K mile warranty from Ford. but that is because we used an Independent Transmission shop.

Nowadays, You NEED the extended warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire