Newbie question - CCD or Load Leveling for 7000lb+ Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
Guys

This is my first post on the forum and I look forward to getting more involved.

My family has decided that we are going to get a travel trailer and do some vacations exploring our great country. We are looking at a trailer about 7,000lb gross weight, which with 5 of us in the car and 2 labradors will probably take us to about 8,000lb of total weight being carried.

I do not currently have an Expedition and I am just starting my search for one of the last 2017s left in dealer stock.

The question I have is whether I would be better getting a Platinum with the CCD or a Limited with the Load Leveling suspension for the weight I am planning to tow? Not being an expert on Expeditions I am confused about what would be the best route for me. Right now I could go either way as both options are available to me.

Obviously I will also need the heavy duty tow package whichever direction I go, and a good quality weight distributing hitch.

All advice will be greatly appreciated and apologies if this question has been asked before

Thanks

Mark

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a touch choice. I have no experience with the CCD system, but I love love love the air ride on my 2012. It rides nice empty, or with 6 smelly teenagers and myself packed in there. Pulling a trailer, or loaded down with gear, it handles pretty much the same (except for the brakes, hehe.)

I think I would rather have that than CCD, but like I said, I have no experience with it. Staying level all the time is really nice.

OP
OP
M

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
Thank you both for your responses.

Yes I’ve looked at the Combined weight. I am going to be close to 9,000 CGVW but will be within the limits of the vehicle. But that’s why I am interested in real world experience of both systems. The closer I get to the weight limit the more “sensitive” the towing experience will be.

I have experience of a load leveling system in previous SUVs and Wagons (I’m originally from Europe where towing with a large Station Wagon is still very popular)

So I know what load leveling will do for me, what I don’t know is whether CCD will replicate some of the functionality of Load leveling when towing a heavy load or whether it’s really just a ride quality mechanism

Thanks, and looking forward to contributing to the forum

Mark

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a thread about this over on ford-trucks.com that could be helpful. Seems like CCD does a pretty good job of leveling… weight distributing hitch probably helps a bunch.

OP
OP
M

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
Thanks Dewey

That’s a useful thread, good to read some real world experience. Surprisingly little data on the CCD set up but guessing that most people get the Limited with Load Leveling as it is a much more cost effective vehicle

At the moment deals on the remaining 17s are great so I am leaning towards a Platinum

Thanks

Mark

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The big issue with the Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) system is the wheels and tires. At least on the 2018 Expedition, CCD include 22" rims. The HD Trailer Tow package inclue and requires 18" rims. Therefore you can not have both.

The 2017 (and pretty sure 2018) Expeditions, include Nivomat rear shocks. This is a mechanical load leveling system and the reason why air spring suspension is no longer an option.

Clearly, your still need a good quality load leveling hitch. Gross towing (with HD Trailer Tow option) is about 9,000 lbs and Gross Combine (GCWR) is about 15,000 lbs for both 2017 and 2018.

The big advantage on the 2018 is the 10 speed transmission.

MrTommy

Reaction score
We are looking at a trailer about 7,000lb gross weight, which with 5 of us in the car and 2 labradors will probably take us to about 8,000lb of total weight being carried.

Frankly, I think with a total of 8,000 pounds of trailer you're going to be close to trouble with an Expedition. Power, brakes, and towing capacity. We have a travel trailer (2012 Arctic Fox 25Y) and tow it with a 1997 F-350 crew cab Powerstroke diesel, and with several engine modifications (and a chip) we still experience some uphill issues when going over thousands of feet of elevation. It weighs close to 8,000 pounds loaded with all our crap.Then the downhill issues come up with inadequate brakes. I solved some of our problems by installing an exhaust brake and getting the trailer brakes upgraded to discs.

We will be towing our Polaris rzr in an enclosed trailer behind our 2014 Expedition and I'm not all that impressed with the engine when towing, and that's a dinky 14 foot trailer with a 1,000 pound side-by-side.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Frankly, I think with a total of 8,000 pounds of trailer you're going to be close to trouble with an Expedition. Power, brakes, and towing capacity. We have a travel trailer (2012 Arctic Fox 25Y) and tow it with a 1997 F-350 crew cab Powerstroke diesel, and with several engine modifications (and a chip) we still experience some uphill issues when going over thousands of feet of elevation.
Engine braking on a gasoline engine is very different. Besides, ownhill braking should be handled by the properly adjusted trailer brakes.

We will be towing our Polaris rzr in an enclosed trailer behind our 2014 Expedition and I'm not all that impressed with the engine when towing, and that's a dinky 14 foot trailer with a 1,000 pound side-by-side.
What engine, what transmission and what rear axle ratio ? Thenew 10 speed and 3.73 final gear ratio make a big difference.

Admittedly, the Expedition is a heavy beast and a fully loaded EL/Max would likely hit the 15,000 lbs GCWR before you hit the 9,000 lbs trailer limit.

MrTommy

Reaction score
What engine, what transmission and what rear axle ratio ? Thenew 10 speed and 3.73 final gear ratio make a big difference..

Good question(s). We've only had the 2014 for five days now. Guess I'll have to look that stuff up. Haven't had a chance to use the "tow - haul" option yet either. This is all new stuff to me. Our new-to-us Expedition is SO far ahead of our old 2004 Expedition technologically speaking that much of it boggles my mind. Ha. But we've been doing a lot of "RTFM'ing" and slowly coming up to speed. Emphasis on "slowly". :burnout:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze