no 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mberg

Reaction score
I got stuck in a flat parking lot the other night it had just snowed, so I put it in 4x4 hi and it was still in 2x4 but the light lit up indicating that it was in 4x4. Hoping someone could shed some light
thanks

dubedition2003

Reaction score
Try putting your ride in (N) then twist the 4x4 switch on. If this doesn't work check the fuses or try banging on the transfer case.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
the older expys used vacuume to activate the front wheels

OP
OP
M

mberg

Reaction score
Ive tried to bang on the transfer case and Im still getting no luck. The fuse is fine and the light indicates that it is working but I guess im just wondering how the whole four wheel drive line works my truck is a 1997
thanks for the input

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:confused:

What exactly are you wanting to do ? or whats the problem...

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
put the truck in 4x4 and drive down the driveway. Then jack up a front wheel with the truck running and see if you can turn it freely. If it turns freely then see if it is spinning the shaft from the front differential to the wheel. Do the same for the other side. If the shafts are engaged to the wheels it is a problem in the transfer case. If the wheels and shafts are disconnected then the problem is in the front hub assemblies. I think your's are vacuum operated so it could be a vacuum line with a hole in it or disconnected......

Matt R

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I originally thought vacuum but wouldnt his 4x4 indicator tell him its not working if there was a leak?