No cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SledAlaska

Reaction score
On my 2008 el xlt I have no cruise control at all. When I initially start my car all the lights turn on within the dash and on the steering wheel but when I go to engage my cruise control nothing happens. The cruise control will not engage. What could be wrong?

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Google search:

If the speed sensor fails the cruise control may stop working. ... A vehicle's cruise control may stop working if the vacuum actuator has stopped working or if there is damage to the vacuum hoses. The system may also fail if the cable linking the actuator to the throttle is broken.

OP
OP
SledAlaska

SledAlaska

Reaction score
Is there any way to test that? The vehicle drives fine and everything works but cruise control will not work.

OP
OP
SledAlaska

SledAlaska

Reaction score
It hasn’t worked since I bought it, that’s why I am trying to narrow the problem down. Do you know the exact location of the fuse. I looked in the manual and cold not find anything for cruise control. Maybe under something else?

Steve Hartman

Reaction score
I'm no expert, and at 72 I've forgotten more than I remember! However, I have had my cruise control quit and was able to fix it very simply. This may not be YOUR problem, but you never know.
Don't laugh now! There is a doohickey at the very end of your master break cylinder that goes bad. Replace it and VOILA' ! I'm sure someone here can give you the proper name if the device. I do know it was cheap, and if I remember correctly, I was able to change it right in the auto parts parking lot! Good Luck!

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The simplest way to check the fuse if you can't find it in the manual is to check each side of every fuse (I know it's time consuming) but you should come across at least 1 fuse that is broken/blown replace that fuse and it should fix it. If you don't find a broken fuse let me know I have a haynes manual for a bunch of the expy's explorers, f-150's and super duties going back to 97 all contained in one book because they kept all of the wiring the same. I can look into the wiring diagrams and see if there is a fuse.