No dipstick 2008 navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a new filter and 8 quarts of mercon sp for my 2008 navigator. I found plenty of videos online showcasing the pan drop procedure for the 6r75 and 6r80. I have the 6r75. The problem is that I do not have the fill/level check plug. It should be on the passenger side front of the trans above the pan right next to the exhaust cat. Does anyone know how the hell I service this thing? Thank you!
1f82e6df6fe87641866ca0c6af3f3a5d.jpg2ba4c0457a45f8706464ccadd8d54889.jpg7b88be2f884dec122bc5667d15274809.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be a 17mm bolt that comes off, and a short yellow dipstick. Can't believe Lincoln would be any different than Ford's. That's how you refill it , through there. Just hunt around it's gotta be there.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I called a Ford dealer and he said you fill through the tiny plug right above the pan. It's just a flat plug and looks nothing like the plug in the 6r80. He said you get the fluid up to the correct temp and fill until it comes out of that hole. I have the fluid and the filter but I'm not sure it the gasket is reusable. I didn't purchase one since I thought I had a 6r80 lookalike with the reusable gasket.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All right well now you know how to refill. We don't get Lincoln repairs that often here, so haven't heard of that refilling procedure. I'd buy a new gasket either way, you don't want a leak you'd have to put up with, and keep refilling fluid. Do the job once, do it right.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm getting conflicting info on what filter I need. I bought the motorcraft ft-177 but I'm not sure it's correct. I may just go the easy route and pump as much old fluid out through the drain/fill hole and then fill till it comes out of there. I figure getting some new fluid with the friction modifiers in there is better than nothing.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No don't put in any friction modifiers. Tranny fluid only. If your not 100 percent on how to service your trans, no shame there, have a tranny or quality shop do the job. I've been a tech for close to 50 years now, and I have others do jobs I think are just too tough to tackle. The older I get, the less I want to wrench. I need to rotate my tires, but I keep coming up with excuses every weekend. Maybe I'll hear my brakes soon, then I'll have to.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I called my local shop and even with me bringing 8 quarts of mercon sp and the filter they want $300 to drop the pan. Not gonna happen.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Ford figures no Lincoln owner would ever service his tranny, so they save five bucks on the mini-dipstick.

I would bet the gasket is reusable. The problem is that if it isn't you'll be stuck going to an Autozone place and all they'll have is some leaky cork crap. I know the 2008 Expedition gaskets are reusable, but as we've seen with your dipstick, without a Lincoln shop manual that doesn't mean much. Let us know what you find.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a little high, but their dinging you for 2 plus hours. In reality at a shop that's equipped, it's about a little over an hour actual time. Get yourself a big cement mixing pan at your local hardware store, and drain and refill yourself. Like I said earlier get a new gasket, filter too, clean out pan once removed. The cement pan shouldn't be more than $10.00, it's plastic. The only tough part is getting the old fluid into plastic coolant jugs. I use old 2 gallon vegetable oil jugs, using a 8 inch wide funnel. An easier way is to dump tranny fluid into a 15 quart oil drain pan from the cement pan. If your Expy had a drain plug like my 1 St edition it would be like doing a regular oil change. Layout cardboard all around the drain pan, believe me it helps.