No Heat until Truck is under a load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stangy89

Reaction score
Question for you all....
I'll do my best to describe whats going on with my '03 5.4l expy
A couple weeks ago I noticed a tiny puddle of coolant under the truck, shortly after that the truck would only throw out heat under a load (while moving). Now the temp gauge spikes to the red line like it going to over heat and then the heat kicks in and the temp gauge returns to normal. I've kept an eye on the bottle to make sure there's enough coolant which I've had to fill a couple times, I presume due to the small leak that started a couple weeks ago. The leak, from what I can tell looks to be coming from the back of the engine compartment close to the firewall and only seems to appear when the truck has sat long enough to cool down usually over night. I also noticed that when I reach my destination that there's a little steam coming from under the hood so the coolant is hitting something hot. I'm concerned about it being a head gasket but am not sure what the symptoms of that would be. Would be awesome if it was a simple thermostat replacement but wouldn't explain the leak :( Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

I do have a block heater installed... could coolant be leaking through the freeze plug?
Should I do a heater core flush?

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
may need a new thermostat as well...check ur manifolds as I had a leak there and coolant was flowing in them...hope u can trace the source of the leak

OP
OP
Stangy89

Stangy89

Reaction score
I'm seeing a little bit of oil now too :(

Head gasket? Are the 5.4's known to let go around 140k?