No instrument cluster illumination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I thought, he blew something. Do you have fuse and relay diagrams, I don't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You asked Did you check the panel dimmer switch to make sure it is on

He replied, Yes I did, everything else seems to dim like normal but still nothing in the cluster.

And as I said if half of the cluster was ok before he removed the cluster and now none of the lights work in the cluster then something went wrong in the reassembly. JMHO

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There you go super duty, looks like stamp posted a wire schematic for you. Good luck.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't you sometimes wish we were in same town like old days to figure out where your buddy or yourself messed up?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would be nice as sometimes when dealing with problems on the forum and with people miles apart it is tough to know what they did or didn't do and what they tell you and don't tell you. Had a problem with someone the other day that had no lights in the inst. cluster. Was trying to walk him thru the problem and was having him check fuses and then some other items. Wasn't having much luck. Was just about to have him check the dimmer switch and all of a sudden he comes back on with a big DUH guess what? the dimmer switch was in the off position. I can imagine how he felt when he found the switch was off but I do give him credit for letting me know the results I asked him if he had children thinking they may have been playing. BTW it was his wife's expy and he could only assume that she had moved the switch.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember about twenty years back I was doing front brakes on a Datsun 280 z. Rebuilt front calipers, turned rotors, etc. couldn't get air out of system after. Had three of my smartest mechanic friends over trying to figure out why. 2 large containers of brake fluid later, I figured out I put left caliper on right side. Bolted up fine but bleeders were facing down, not up. I figured out by just reversing them. We all looked at each other and said what the f!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes there are simple troubleshooting steps to follow. The first is to determine everything that has failed - it may be more than just the cluster lights. Once you know that and the logic the system uses you can then pinpoint the failure.

First thing I would check are the bulbs in the cluster.....the system may be working fine and the bulbs are bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Sorry for leaving you guys hanging on this, I've been distracted with the holiday and a million other things going on.
To answer some of the questions, all fuses related to the instrument cluster are fine. As far as I can tell all the indicator lights in the instrument cluster work fine, dimmer switch works fine, steering wheel/radio/climate control etc. all dim correctly. The courtesy lights, mirror lights, everything else on the vehicle seems to be working fine. Still no instrument cluster illumination. I thought I had found the right bulbs to replace the burned out ones in the cluster today but found out that the bulbs I bought locally weren't the right ones. I have checked fuses ad nauseum, there are no bent or pushed in pins in the 2 connectors on the cluster... I'm completely stumped right now.
I think I have a total of 4 bad bulbs out of 11 in the cluster, but no moving them around or switching where the burned out ones are gets the cluster to light up.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can apply 12 volt to 1 terminal of bulb, ground to other. If their good they should light. On a multiple filament bulb touchground to base of bulb positive to each filament should light if good. Your problem is likely something else, as swiapping around bulbs made no difference