No instrument cluster illumination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well let's hope, it's the season for miracles. It's probably something simple. 50 cents in parts, $500.00 in labor. Oh well your spare time isn't $150.00 hr I hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cluster lights are wired in parallel so that if one bulb should go out the remainder will still be functional.

The last lights wired in series were Christmas tree lights from the 60's....

Are you losing just the cluster lights or everything list on the attached jpeg?

Attachments

• 2006 Cluster Illumination1.jpg
    2006 Cluster Illumination1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Of course they are. We should all string lights inside the expy's this month, that would light up the dash.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have figured it by now, I like to have fun, life's too short if you don't! Seriously sounds like he pulled a pin, broke a wire, or blew a fuse in pulling the speedo, the chrismoose!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I enjoy life also but since he hasn't been able to figure out what has changed he may take everything here as the gospel and not realize the difference in configuration wiring types.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do think professor stamp is his problem?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on how he answers my question. The old days of simple wiring are long gone. Everything is now multiplexed, the following is from the service manual:

Interior Lighting Systems
The instrument cluster grounds the battery saver relay and supplies the power for courtesy lamps when any door ajar switch is opened, or the interior lamp (headlamp) switch is closed. The instrument cluster then supplies voltage to the interior lamp circuit. Vehicle speed must be less than 24 kph (15 mph) for the instrument cluster module to keep courtesy lamps on. The interior lamps will remain illuminated for up to 25 seconds after all doors are closed unless the instrument cluster module receives an input from any of the following:

voltage from the ignition switch
a vehicle speed signal
input from the keyless entry keypad through the vehicle security module
input from the remote keyless entry transmitter lock or panic switch through the vehicle security module
Illuminated Entry
Illuminated entry is activated when a vehicle is unlocked using the keyless entry keypad or the remote keyless entry transmitter. The vehicle security module then requests that the instrument cluster module supply voltage to the interior lamps. Illuminated entry is deactivated when the vehicle security module receives a lock signal from the remote keyless entry transmitter. Illuminated entry will also be deactivated when the instrument cluster module receives a change in ignition switch pid status.

Battery Saver
The battery saver is activated when the instrument cluster module is not receiving voltage input from the ignition switch (OFF position). The instrument cluster module will then provide ground to the battery saver relay coil. This activates for a period of 10 minutes with the interior lamp (headlamp) switch in the OFF position, or a maximum period of 30 minutes with the interior lamp (headlamp) switch in the ON position, or a door is ajar, provided that the instrument cluster module does not receive any other input signals within the time-out period. The activated battery saver relay switches voltage to the demand lamp circuit . After time-out, the instrument cluster module disconnects ground from the battery saver relay coil, disabling the demand lamp circuit.

If the op is willing to perform some tests and has the tools and knowledge to operate them we may be able to pinpoint the source of his problem. If not it is a trip to the dealer.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good lord, I got worn out reading that. Isn't their a K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid method for our friend to get his wife's dash lights going?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well super duty, you might have a bit of diagnostic ahead of you according to Mr Stamp. He is the professor of electrical. Your going to need acces to a wiring schematic, and know how to read it. It seems weird that all you did was pull speedo and lost illuminating. I'm no genius by I would figure out what plug and color wire on those two plugs is the 12 volt power in, and test with a light or volt ohm meter to see if you got power to the plug. Also check ground to plug, make sure that's good. You said you checked pins? Did any pins or wires on two plugs pull loose. Remember we're like detectives, checking clues to close out case. Good luck. Stamp can you help him out with schematic and what colors he needs to check. I just have an I phone!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I find strange is he was going to replace lights on one side of the instrument cluster and when he reassembled the cluster and reinstalled both sides are not working. Now to me if you only did one side and now both sides don't work the tells me either a fuse is blown or a pin is dislodged.