no power to cam and crank sensors PLEASE HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2007 expedition no power to cam or crank sensor with key on please help

So your Expy is bacically dead in the water? Could be a bad crank sensor.....will the engine turn over at all? Most crank sensors will let the engine crank but will not start. Tell us what the engine is doing, crank or no crank, start or no start, etc.

OP
OP
B

brandonpink93

Reaction score
it will start and run but runs ruff and throws timing codes for both advanced and retard and circuit codes for cams i replaces all the sensors cam and crank

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How do you think the pcm knows the timing is advanced or retarted? Signals from the sensors. You replaced items that are working. Time to inspect the timing chain system, cam phasers, solenoids and oil pressure.

OP
OP
B

brandonpink93

Reaction score
The oil pressure, Cam phasers, chain and tensioners are good, it has new sensors and solenoids, I bought the expedition with a rod knock and when i bought it it also had the codes for the timing issues. So i figured buying a reman motor put all new sensors and solenoids would fix my issue and it has not, i started reading haynes manual and it says the pig tail for cam sensors and crank sensor should have power with key on and motor off and ming does not. I am wondering if it is the PCM but i want to test it to be sure i havent seen any issues with the wiring eathier.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Saying something is "good" doesn't mean anything with todays computer controlled engines. Now it is "with in spec" or "out of spec".
How do you know the parts you listed are good. Did you observe the signals from the cam, and crank sensors on a scope to verify the are moving when necessary.
What is the oil pressure at idle and at 3500 rpm?

Trash the Haynes and get the factory service manual off ebay.

Sensors that are powered will get vref from the ecm. These are normally 3 or 4 wire sensors, one of them being signal return. Yours is only 2 wires - non powered. It generates a small ac signal the pcm uses for crank/cam position in relation to TDC and engine rpm.

How much clearance was there in the bad rod? I've seen redneck repairs that I shook my head at but they lasted for the owner if they took it easy in the beginning. You may have been able to dress the journal and roll in a new bearing set for that rod.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brandonpink93

Reaction score
How do you think the pcm knows the timing is advanced or retarted? Signals from the sensors. You replaced items that are working. Time to inspect the timing chain system, cam phasers, solenoids and oil pressure.

The oil pressure, Cam phasers, chain and tensioners are good, it has new sensors and solenoids, I bought the expedition with a rod knock and when i bought it it also had the codes for the timing issues. So i figured buying a reman motor put all new sensors and solenoids would fix my issue and it has not, i started reading haynes manual and it says the pig tail for cam sensors and crank sensor should have power with key on and motor off and ming does not. I am wondering if it is the PCM but i want to test it to be sure i havent seen any issues with the wiring eathier.