No power to fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Trying to get the wife's 06 going again, last week we drove it into town to get lunch, and when we came back out it wouldn't start. Had my dad tow me home, knowing the fuel pump driver module (FPDM) can be an issue I started with that. No luck. Tried a new pump, no luck there either. (Pump would run, but even I pulled it there was a wire connector that had melted so I decided to replace the pump anyway). All fuel pump related fuses and relays are fine. If I manually power the pump by jumpering the wires at the FPDM the car will start and run but for whatever reason the FPDM is not powering the pump.
From my research I see the next most likely culprit is the fuel rail pressure sensor, though I'm not sure how to test it. I'm doubtful it's the inertia switch but suppose it's possible. Any other suggestions before I assume the worst and look at a replacement PCM or fuse panel?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would check voltages in the circuit before throwing more parts at it.

How did you check the fuses and relay? Eyeball or with a meter?

OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Fuses were continuity tested in the panel with a multimeter.

The issue ended up being one of the wires in the plug for the FPDM got pushed out. Once I found that the vehicle starts and runs fine again.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The fuel pump is disabled, if key does not have correct, or good PATS2 chip. Try another key or flip key around, in the ignition. If the chip is not recognized, the theft light will flash rapidly.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Unbelievable. A plastic housing or spacer would of prevented any problems. My rear wiper has a aluminum housing and steel shaft. The weld themselves together. You think Ford engineers, would know stuff like this.

03 exp

Reaction score
HOW do you guys add videos? Sorry I know not related I just can’t figure it out!

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
in the top right heading area of the reply box, there is a 'media' tag that you click on, then paste the utube vid url there

here's the url for the above vid
-edit hmmm, looks like u can just post/paste the url

left the 'h' part (http) outa the link so it shows
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPbwBEfWVO0

if you hover the mouse cursor over the tags, they highlight & a small box comes up describing what the tag is for - pix/vid/bold etc

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
It wasn't the fuel pump driver module, it wasn't a PATS issue, it was a wire not being inserted all the way into the fuel pump driver module connector. See post #3...