Noise from driver side front wheel during/after turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm aware that when adaptive cruise control applies brakes, noise can be heard from the driver side front wheel. This is considered normal.

What I've been noticing, however, is louder, substantially more concerning mechanical noise coming from the same wheel during and after turning left. At times it sounds like something is physically stuck/rubbing in the brake rotor or suspension/steering assembly. I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel as well.

It seems to clear-up on its own after a second or two, but thought it was very odd nevertheless.

Truck is due at the dealership next week for an oil change, winter tire change, and a few warranty kinks (liftgate button is stuck, drive control malfunction error messages, etc.).

Just thought I'd mention this here should anyone else have similar noise issues.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll let the dealer know. Since no check engine light has come on, I'm assuming it's safe to operate for now.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll let the dealer know. Since no check engine light has come on, I'm assuming it's safe to operate for now.
I had the issue referred to in the TSB Randy posted. It only applies to vehicles with 4WD as the problem lies with the valve which controls the 4WD hub actuator...so if your vehicle is only 2wd, this would not apply. But, if you have 4WD and this is, in fact, your issue, yes it is safe to drive [insert all necessary disclaimers here as I dont want you listening to some rando on the internet who told you it was safe to drive and then you get hideously maimed in a fiery crash because it was not actually safe to drive].

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was having this problem with my 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new and never wrecked.

While in 2WD, and driving uphill, the grinding or growling noise (left front side) would start as the engine began to bog slightly (just before the transmission would downshift).

I made an appointment at my selling dealer. Diagnosis: Unable to duplicate. On the way home, the noise was present (I live in a hilly area - not mountainous).

I did an internet search and found this bulletin. The full bulletin states that the dealer should consider the IWE solenoid CHECK VALVE to be the root cause.

I bought a new Motorcraft check valve ($9.50) and installed it in 5 minutes. The new valve eliminated the noise.

This was the last straw with the Ford service department where I’ve had the vehicle serviced since new. I’ve had other issues with them and now, no longer go there for service.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the issue referred to in the TSB Randy posted. It only applies to vehicles with 4WD as the problem lies with the valve which controls the 4WD hub actuator...so if your vehicle is only 2wd, this would not apply. But, if you have 4WD and this is, in fact, your issue, yes it is safe to drive [insert all necessary disclaimers here as I dont want you listening to some rando on the internet who told you it was safe to drive and then you get hideously maimed in a fiery crash because it was not actually safe to drive].
Mine is at the Ford dealership right now for this TSB. First time I took it to them, they had no idea what I was talking about. I got the service manager involved the second time. They had to order the valve which took about 3 working days. They told me, "DO NOT DRIVE THE VECHICLE". They stated that driving it like it was could blow out the front hubs. So I should get it back today with the problem fixed...

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is at the Ford dealership right now for this TSB. First time I took it to them, they had no idea what I was talking about. I got the service manager involved the second time. They had to order the valve which took about 3 working days. They told me, "DO NOT DRIVE THE VECHICLE". They stated that driving it like it was could blow out the front hubs. So I should get it back today with the problem fixed...
FYI...it took them twice on mine. After they "fixed it" the first time I went about 2 weeks before it was back. Apparently there is a valve and a something else; they had replaced the something else but not the valve. So then they did the valve the second time around.

Keep in mind this was all before the TSB had been issued, so they were trying to figure it out as they went. I'd bet the TSB has it all buttoned up.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gordon, always post in your original post all the details of vehicle. Example engine size, 2 or 4 wheel drive, etc. It's true the IWE solenoids, actuators, and vacuum lines are a very common issue on 2007 and newer Expeditions, and F150's. Record on your phone any time you have an issue with your SUV. Dealers are like doctor's, it never hurts when you go for the appointment.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses. I had the 10k service done on the truck last week, and told the dealership about this issue, citing the bulletin numbers noted above. They apparently couldn’t find the bulletins based on the numbers I gave them, nor could they replicate the issue.

However, since I’ve received the truck back I haven’t heard the noise.

Amongst the things they worked in were the wheels (mounted and balanced blizzaks).

Hopefully the problem won’t return. We drove up to Canada with the kids and put some 1200 miles on the truck this past weekend. No issues. Will report back here and keep the thread updated.