Nothing like a Catalytic Converter burn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I serviced my 2014 el king ranch about 11,000 miles ago. The crossover pipe is a pain in the butt and the converter is hot! But despite the pains it’s a really good transmission and requires very little service. As I understand it, it’s one of the only transmissions that holds a pressure and if properly serviced with Ford filter and fluids it can last as long as the engine. Also worth note is that from all the info I have seen, if you do have to rebuild it, no special tools are needed and the most important thing is cleaning the parts exceptionally well. I wore a cheap long gauntlet glove from amazon to keep from getting burnt by the cat and used a cheap hand fluid transfer pump to fill the tranny back up. So there are a few minor quirks but I’ll put up with it for the durability that far exceeded anything I ever got out of GM or Dodge.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Us old-timers know a trick to keep from getting those nasty burns and knuckle busters....

"Call me when its done"

Rexpedition

Reaction score
So I posted this on another thread... but maybe it really belong here:

I'm getting ready to start poking at the trans on the 2012 Ex I just bought w/ 150k on the clock... I figure it's never been touched and is running well now - so some PM is in order...

My question is, can I avoid the hot level check if I'm careful?
I mean, if I get it hot, park in garage on 4 ramps, let it cool, check fluid level and mark/note it, drop/clean/reinstall pan and filter, fill to same spot - there is no need to worry... right?

O, hello from a newbie joining what looks like a very helpful forum :). I've already been 'broken in' by the T-connector.... And right after changing plugs/boots!!:mad:
Thanks,
-Tony

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
My question is, can I avoid the hot level check if I'm careful?

If I check the level in my 2010 Explorer when cold, the fluid spills out. I'm not sure if the fluid from the cooler drains back into the pan giving a falsely high level when cold. That level may be over the top of the mini-dipstick hole.

Since that wonderful experience, I only check the dipstick-less Fords hot.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I check the level in my 2010 Explorer when cold, the fluid spills out. I'm not sure if the fluid from the cooler drains back into the pan giving a falsely high level when cold. That level may be over the top of the mini-dipstick hole.

I assume your 2010 Exploder has the 4.6L if you have the 6R80 trans in it? I never realized how sexy the intake manifold is on the 4.6 3V Explorers until recently....it’s a nice layout in the engine bay. Kinda wish the 5.4 showed the intake off like that instead of the engine cover or ones with the huge intake w/ resonators.

4.6 Explorer
B26F95C6-5FD9-48B2-8277-3DFFD3E9AB84.jpeg

5.4 Expedition
B1200F8D-3FCA-4DDE-8015-E94CC93D177E.jpeg

Last edited:

Rexpedition

Reaction score

Thanks for the insight, Train. I didn't expect to hear that that! Are you sure this is the same for my 2012 Expedition?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Are you sure this is the same for my 2012 Expedition?

Unfortunately, I have no idea if this applies to the Expedition. Crack the nut on it cold and just be prepared for some fluid's escape and you'll find.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They have Expy trans oil gloves at Amazon for wimps but all you need is something to lay on the cat like a wet rag or something. Also some mechanics just check the trans when it is cooler and subtract 1/2" +- from the little dipstick to compensate for hot oil expansion.