Octane Choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford recommends 87 octane in the owner's manual for my 5.4L '98 Ex XLT. What problems/concerns would there be with bumping up to 89 or even 92 octane? I know the owner's manual is explicit about using ONLY 87 octane in my wife's '01 Mustang w/3.8L V6. The owner's manual states that it will cause poor performance and most likely will cause it to throw a check engine light.

Thoughts?

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use the lowest octane that doesn't make it knock.
The PCM controls the spark, A/F and all that jazz and if it's tuned for 87, then that's what the manual will say and that's what you need to use. No reason whatsoever to use anything higher.
My Thunderbird (supercharged and tuned) needs at least 92 octane or it'll detonate to heck! Different application.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
useing higher octaine will cause deposits on the piston tops
then when you stop useing 92 octaine and go back to 87
will cause ping due to the deposits left by the 93 octaine

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just stick with the 87 oct and you will be ok i mean there are ways to make more power with the higer oct but you got ot reprogram your computer and even using 87 oct and reprogaming your computer you will make more power then with 93 oct and not reprograming and 87 oct is cheaper too