High Octane gas prices soon to go up more Aug 2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I heard this on the radio this morning and the only online source I could grab an article from was MSN.com so put your political spin filter on if your read it. (for example the writer thinks: threatening to add to the cost of filling up a Mercedes or Lamborghini...only rich folks driving exotic cars are affected???)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...ise-as-cleaner-fuel-rules-play-out/ar-AAFc6j0

Basically cleaner (less sulfur) gas requirements are taking effect that will drive the refining costs of higher octane fuel because removing the sulphur drives octane down which has to be replaced with an ingredient call alkylate. Alkylate will be in high demand.

How much is your limit before sticking with 87?

I'm currently seeing a $0.50 increase from 87 to 93. That is nearing my limit of switchover to 87. Paying $15 per fill up more just bugs me. (at an average of 26 gallons at fill up my limit is $0.58/gal difference)

I will run high octane (87 recommended, 91 for best performance noticeable in hot weather or towing) as recommended by the owner's manual. I have been running 93 since January but will switch back soon.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't pay for my fuel usage but even when I did, I generally use Shell 93 or Sunoco in my truck, car & bikes.

When I did pay for gas I did not make fuel decisions based on my pocketbook. Isn't that like listening to the little head when applying for a job? Those things should remain unrelated. I do understand the real world too though so for anyone who does worry that they are paying more, should just use the cheapest fuel, always. Pretty simple. That way they shouldn't get twisted, right?

To only buy a more expensive fuel when one can "afford" it kinda means maybe you shouldn't be buying it at all, right? We used to call it being ""N"-rich" or "payday-rich".....back when things weren't so PC. Now I don't know what you'd call it.

50 miles each way=100/15mpgx5days=33 gal per weekx $.5(delta)=17 bucks a week x4.3wks pe rmonth x 12= 877 per year

about the same as most pay for;

interest on credit cards......

jeff