Octane rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewactual

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the diesels i've worked with lately have bedplates as opposed to individual mains.... and THAT is the way to go when pushing. the strength it gives is far superior.... which it would have to be. the static compression of the 6.4 is 17.5:1, and i can tickle 60# of boost and see as much as 40# daily which means cylinder pressure and the push against that bedplate is friggin' ridiculous at times.

the windsor 5.4 block or the one built in Michigan have these differences, i'm learning. the 8 bolt one is independent mains, where the six bolt one is a girdle? ...... again, I'm just starting to dig into the facts and have never flip one over on a stand to see for myself..... yet... :)

i've sure hijacked this thread good, no? apologies.....

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used 87 octane for years and put in a bottle of Techron Max every 10,000 miles - or oil change. Works like a charm.

How do you get additives in that capless tank??

I tried it somehow just spilled down the inside of my fender and made a mess. Ugh.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you get additives in that capless tank??

I tried it somehow just spilled down the inside of my fender and made a mess. Ugh.
You have to use the plastic funnel that's stored with the jack. It is the right size to release flap just like the gas nozzle.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its not required its recommended. And the Expedition is in no way a fleet vehicle. You probably cant name one company that owns a fleet of 15+ Expeditions

The Federal Gubmint

Screenshot_2017-06-01-13-48-55.png

Also, I've heard of disgruntled livery companies ditching the fullsize GMs for Expeditions over tranny issues with recent batches requiring tranny swaps every 100-120k miles....

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Federal Gubmint

View attachment 20483

Also, I've heard of disgruntled livery companies ditching the fullsize GMs for Expeditions over tranny issues with recent batches requiring tranny swaps every 100-120k miles....

I'm sorry but what's your point? There are millions of products produced with someone or something "in mind" that never get used for those intended purposes. Again show me a police force or fire dept that runs a fleet of 17 model Expeditions. I'll be waiting patiently

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sorry but what's your point? There are millions of products produced with someone or something "in mind" that never get used for those intended purposes. Again show me a police force or fire dept that runs a fleet of 17 model Expeditions. I'll be waiting patiently

Look at the pic.

'17 SSVs get the old-style bumpers.

You wouldn't be able to tell if you saw it.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I've been absent here for years but just upgraded my '07 to a new '17 Expedition XLT. Any benefit to running 89 octane over 87? I'll no doubt run 93 when towing but it's a 75¢ bump here in Ohio. I run it in my S2000 but premium is required in that 'lil car.

I picked a '17 rather than wait for the '18s to cut any learning curve.

-- Chuck

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been absent here for years but just upgraded my '07 to a new '17 Expedition XLT. Any benefit to running 89 octane over 87? I'll no doubt run 93 when towing but it's a 75¢ bump here in Ohio. I run it in my S2000 but premium is required in that 'lil car.

I picked a '17 rather than wait for the '18s to cut any learning curve.

-- Chuck

I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 - and I use 89 octane fuel. I used 87 octane (recommended) for the first 5-6,000 miles and then switched to the 89 octane. I kept track of my fuel mileage as my driving routes and habits didn't change. I get about 1.5 more mpg with the 89 octane. When I take a long expressway trip with passengers and the a/c (vacation...), I use premium fuel even though I do not tow. The vehicle is used exclusively for passenger use - never towed with it although it has the HD towing package.

I'm in southern Ohio and the price bump is about 50 - 80 cents for premium (25 - 40 cents for mid-grade). I was out today and noticed that 87 octane had dropped to $1.93 a gallon near where I live. Amazing.

How do yo like the 3.5 Ecoboost? I really like the engine. This was my first Ford purchase in over 40+ years of driving.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition