Oil analysis results: 0-5K and 5K-10K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't used the search feature to see if anyone has posted results of their oil analysis or if anyone else has done them right away, so figured I'd share.

I had blackstone labs do an analysis at 5K miles on my Expedition as well as at 10K. Changed the factory oil at 5K because I figured it would have a bunch of "junk" in it. Did it again at 10K. Obviously factory fill was the first analysis, second was with Mobil 1. I'll probably go another 5K and see how things are settling in at that point and make the determination if I should go the full 10K between changes or try something more intermediate like 7,500.

I've been getting oil analyzed for the wife's MKS since it has the 3.7 Duratec with the internal water pump, figured if I start to see any signs of water I'll have the pump replaced. For the Expedition I'll probably do it for a bit and then maybe I'll do it every couple changes once I know the "best" interval. I do my own changes (obviously) so for $35 or so with oil and filter (Mobil 1 oil/FoMoCo filter) I can spring for the extra $30 for an oil analysis and it still costs less than going to Iffy Lube.

Anyway, enjoy

oil 1.jpg

oil 2.jpg

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I posted one for an 87K sample on my 2017 EL (Gen 1) Ecoboost, and another that I'm awaiting results on around 107K. Should be interesting because the OLM let the oil go around 9,500 miles. I'll share when it comes in, should be within the next week.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always say fresh oil is cheap, I'm not running oil for any extended periods. I dumped my factory oil at 2,000 miles to fresh the debris out.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't used the search feature to see if anyone has posted results of their oil analysis or if anyone else has done them right away, so figured I'd share.

I had blackstone labs do an analysis at 5K miles on my Expedition as well as at 10K. Changed the factory oil at 5K because I figured it would have a bunch of "junk" in it. Did it again at 10K. Obviously factory fill was the first analysis, second was with Mobil 1. I'll probably go another 5K and see how things are settling in at that point and make the determination if I should go the full 10K between changes or try something more intermediate like 7,500.

I've been getting oil analyzed for the wife's MKS since it has the 3.7 Duratec with the internal water pump, figured if I start to see any signs of water I'll have the pump replaced. For the Expedition I'll probably do it for a bit and then maybe I'll do it every couple changes once I know the "best" interval. I do my own changes (obviously) so for $35 or so with oil and filter (Mobil 1 oil/FoMoCo filter) I can spring for the extra $30 for an oil analysis and it still costs less than going to Iffy Lube.

Anyway, enjoy

View attachment 38899

View attachment 38900

Great Data!

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice info, I would never run my Ecoboost over 5K. But that’s just me and my preference. But I would love to see a 10K sample.that could change my mind. With the COVID I have only put 5K on my Expy this year. [emoji3525]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont have to worry about any testing.
I dont have any oil left to test!
This black oil is after 2500 miles and a little over full on the stick when topped off last.

15,000 on truck

Resized_20201024_101541.jpeg

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So this brings up a question I've had since I did my last (and first) oil change on this rig. Is there a steadfast routine that I should follow, from what I hear, these engines like to hang on to oil in lots of crevices when doing oil changes. I literally let the thing drip for probably 20 minutes, but I know for a fact no where near the 6qts that was "supposed" to be in there was there. I put in 6qts but it was too full, I ended up having to drain some right away, which tells me there was still a fair amount in it.

For 20+ years I've only been using Mobil1 or Royal Purple (purple for some of my hard use off road rigs), and only Mobil1, K&N, or Purple filters. Never failed me before.

In my last vehicle I decided not to use any of the BG products, had no issues, anyone use them in these 3.5's with any issues or noticeable success? I see the Ford dealers are selling it a lot.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting that factory fill is low on viscosity. Wonder how dealer bulk oil holds up?

Paul M

Reaction score
So this brings up a question I've had since I did my last (and first) oil change on this rig. Is there a steadfast routine that I should follow, from what I hear, these engines like to hang on to oil in lots of crevices when doing oil changes. I literally let the thing drip for probably 20 minutes, but I know for a fact no where near the 6qts that was "supposed" to be in there was there. I put in 6qts but it was too full, I ended up having to drain some right away, which tells me there was still a fair amount in it.

For 20+ years I've only been using Mobil1 or Royal Purple (purple for some of my hard use off road rigs), and only Mobil1, K&N, or Purple filters. Never failed me before.

In my last vehicle I decided not to use any of the BG products, had no issues, anyone use them in these 3.5's with any issues or noticeable success? I see the Ford dealers are selling it a lot.

I recently retired my 2011 F150 Lariat 4x4 with the first generation 3.5 eco boost at 260,000 plus miles (and bought the new Expedition). I've always used Mobil1 and BG MOA additive at each change. The truck was still running strong and always used 1/2 quart during the 5K change interval from the first oil change to the last. At 225K I replaced the water pump. The auto A/C started to randomly tell me what temp I needed to be, the passenger heated seat worked about whenever it felt like it (which is NOT a way to make the wife happy), and a few other computer dash type glitches made me think I was about to put a lot of cash in it. The miles worried her although I've never traded or replaced a vehicle under 350K miles. We're also semi retired and traveling more and surprisingly the wife freaking loved the Expedition test drive.

Short version: I rack up a bunch of miles and always have done 5K between oil changes with BG MOA and have never had to crack an engine for a repair.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I didn’t let it drain for that long, and when I put 6 qt in it was fine ‍♂️