Oil and Filter time...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
A good reason for an oil change is to remove soluble and quasi soluble contaminates that simply pass thru the oil filter. Lubricity of the oil is still good but acids, corrosives, fuel, and just plain dirt are there. These will show up in an oil analysis.

Automobile engines hold very little oil compared to large construction and military vehicles where it is common to only change the oil when the oil analysis calls for it. $25 oil analysis on a 5 quart oil capacity engine is the same $25 on a 25 gallon oil capacity engine.

100 years ago engine oil was commonly changed every 500 (five hundred) miles. The Kendall 2-finger logo depicts (depicted) their claim it would last for 2000 miles. (Didn't mean "chopped." :) )

download-e1509470208171-286x300.png

Full flow oil filters were still optional on cart until the 1950s.

-- Chuck

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are correct. All of today's oils are outstanding and last well within the manufacturer's recommendation. Some of us, however use the synthetics for a variety of reasons - one of the big ones for me is race track driving. I have driven all of my performance cars on race tracks, and stock oiling systems are not sufficient enough to cool the oil. As such, on a race track with a factory car, unless you've installed oil cooling (which I had to finally do on my '84 Turbo GT Mustang) - the oil gets very hot. This is where the synthetics shine; they don't break down until higher temperatures. The dyno oil will not last. So... in some cases there are applications where synthetic is a must - race tracks being one of them.
I have been in your shoes as I have race cars and also drag race cars and road race cars. I always specify that it is all relative to what conditions you'll be driving. Also some people just choose synthetic so I can go longer between changes and get the same level of protection which works just fine as I mentioned earlier. It's just that the average person really doesn't have any need for synthetic oil. I'm not a synthetic Basher. I love synthetic oil. Why not have a little extra bit of protection for 5 or $6 more per oil change. It's not like it's that much more at Walmart. Maybe 10 bucks for the whole change.
But it can cause leaks and seeps on some older vehicles at least for a while and not everyone really needs it. It's just not the Wonder oil that some people say. There's a time and a place for everything.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here we are at just shy of 15K miles on the next batch of oil in my 2012 Expedition 5.4. This one had the added challenge where I ran 900 miles or so (mostly interstate) in the summer from Florida to North Carolina plus some local driving with my oil cap off and set to the side! Over 60 moment. The good news is that the Mobil Super Synthetic also performed admirably over this 15K interval (even with the cap off for some time).

I share this as data for those of you interested in this kind of data. As I unfortunately couched earlier in the post - please spare me the insults and attacks. This is my choice to do based on many years of study. Is myth busters still running to do a show on this!?:)

In any case, attached is the file showing the 2nd consecutive report of my 15K oil changes with great oil condition. To help understand the vehicle history - the far right column was the last batch of oil tested at roughly 15K miles. The column just left of that was the interim check on this oil (~8500 miles to see that I was OK) - the far left column is the final test of this same oil that was checked at 8500 miles.

Cheers

Attachments

• 12 EXPEDITION-Aug 14 2020 report.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 11

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here we are at just shy of 15K miles on the next batch of oil in my 2012 Expedition 5.4. This one had the added challenge where I ran 900 miles or so (mostly interstate) in the summer from Florida to North Carolina plus some local driving with my oil cap off and set to the side! Over 60 moment. The good news is that the Mobil Super Synthetic also performed admirably over this 15K interval (even with the cap off for some time).

I share this as data for those of you interested in this kind of data. As I unfortunately couched earlier in the post - please spare me the insults and attacks. This is my choice to do based on many years of study. Is myth busters still running to do a show on this!?:)

In any case, attached is the file showing the 2nd consecutive report of my 15K oil changes with great oil condition. To help understand the vehicle history - the far right column was the last batch of oil tested at roughly 15K miles. The column just left of that was the interim check on this oil (~8500 miles to see that I was OK) - the far left column is the final test of this same oil that was checked at 8500 miles.

Cheers
The file doesn't open but it is just as well.........nothing to see here folks, move along, move along, lol.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The file doesn't open but it is just as well.........nothing to see here folks, move along, move along, lol.
It opens if you click on the two pages.

Do you enjoy stirring the pot?

It is his money and he can spend it anyway he wants to spend it. Just as I choose to get my oil tested every time I change it. I enjoy reading the reports and seeing the changes over time.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It opens if you click on the two pages.

Do you enjoy stirring the pot?

It is his money and he can spend it anyway he wants to spend it. Just as I choose to get my oil tested every time I change it. I enjoy reading the reports and seeing the changes over time.
Not stirring anything. You both must have money to burn so whatever, better you than me.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
"This is a great report."

$25 vs $150.

Full synthetics seldom "wear out" during the engine manufacture's maintenance schedule. Note this report compared to the Universal Averages * and especially the SUS and eST viscosities of the oil. Everything remains is spec. Mobil One is $22.38/qt at Walmart and the 5.4 uses seven (7) quarts or $156.66. (I'm sure one can buy it cheaper.)

* It's my understanding that the Universal Averages are Blackstone's data on all Ford 5.4 engines they've tested. (If this is incorrect, please let me know. :) )

-- Chuck

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Boron .02% hmm look at that!

Lead .1% wow

Esters 3% ohhh

Zinc .44% hmmm

Aluminum .77 % wow!

Conditioners .839% OK

Tin .009% yikes!

Kryptonite .889% cool

Did you really learn anything? Was is much different than last time? Is your wallet lighter?

I change my oil on time with good oil and never have any problems, what else is there?

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some people just can't let it go - can they?

With all due respect, 07navi - you act rather immaturely. I am trying to say this with the utmost respect, however you are quite challenging in that regard. Do you embrace this new societal 'cancel culture' (I had to look it up) - because most mature adults I know do NOT subscribe to condescending remarks for others who choose differently than themselves.

I chose to share this data with others on the forum who choose to be enlightened with data regarding options. In the industry from which I retired - we called this operating experience. It did the entire industry tremendous benefit. I did it with the request not to be nagged about my choice.

We get it - you choose to do something different. You've made that point crystal clear. Have we ground your nose in that? NO, but man oh man you're doing it to us. We choose to use data to predict our maintenance, you do NOT - we get that. Do us a favor and just let this one go. Others may wish to read this post and not have to weed through your constant nagging and complaining.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some people just can't let it go - can they?

With all due respect, 07navi - you act rather immaturely. I am trying to say this with the utmost respect, however you are quite challenging in that regard. Do you embrace this new societal 'cancel culture' (I had to look it up) - because most mature adults I know do NOT subscribe to condescending remarks for others who choose differently than themselves.

I chose to share this data with others on the forum who choose to be enlightened with data regarding options. In the industry from which I retired - we called this operating experience. It did the entire industry tremendous benefit. I did it with the request not to be nagged about my choice.

We get it - you choose to do something different. You've made that point crystal clear. Have we ground your nose in that? NO, but man oh man you're doing it to us. We choose to use data to predict our maintenance, you do NOT - we get that. Do us a favor and just let this one go. Others may wish to read this post and not have to weed through your constant nagging and complaining.
It's that bad?...........Actually I think this is the first time in my life anyone has ever called me immature.........crybaby.

Yer just mad cause you finally realized how much time and money you wasted on analyzing. Did it affect the quality of you life or you cars life...........no. So now you try to make me look bad in here, just admit it's a big money scam and not needed. Hhmmm I think I will have my milk analyzed, but of course I won't know what I am looking at. :sad72:
Also, I didn't see any "due respect" I just saw knocking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze