Oil Change Impossible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Success.
Put a 6pt socket on it & still had to double up with a wrench on the ratchet to get enough torque to break the drain plug loose.
Fumoto install was straightforward, but a bit difficult. Used a open end wrench to tighten it, but ran into interference with the sway bar aft and crossmember fore. Gently tightened it with a socket. No leaks

Oil filter was another story. So tight, I had to use a channel lock to get enough leverage to break it loose. Had my drain pan under the 'slide' for the filter drain [on the front of the crossmember', but it drains out the back via a different outlet. Ended up with a nearly 12" puddle on the driveway before I realized what was happening.

Still need to pick up some 3/8" hose before the next oil change, but have plenty of time for that.
Was intending to rotate the tires as well, but my little 1.5T low-pro racing jack wasn't going to cut it. Need to invest in a heavier duty jack, or pony up for a quick jack.

image_2e077f06dd1657dbb88dafbea72b74baf50a640b.png

Kreutz73

Reaction score
It’s not the friendliest of vehicles to do the oil change on lol. My oil (when taking the filter off) has never come down the ‘slide’ and I have a 2 post car lift I use sometimes so it’s not due to the angle of the bus when using ramps or a jack.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, oddly, you'd expect the oil to follow the path of the red arrow, as you can see the 'slide' from underneath
In my case, it followed the green arrow & made a mess, and annoyingly, it drips onto the little skid plate if it comes out the green arrow path.
Driveway is pretty flat. I wiped the tray, best I could, afterward.
image_6b53e40020a85a712db5e4f72719386f33f43add.png

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With vehicle on front ramps, the oil only comes out the back of the filter 'catch pan'. I use a small funnel and tube to catch it from the rear into a container directly.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense to have drains both ways, in case of inclination.
Will keep the funnel idea in mine for next time, to avoid dripping onto the skid plate.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense to have drains both ways, in case of inclination.
Will keep the funnel idea in mine for next time, to avoid dripping onto the skid plate.
I cut off the bottom half of a gallon milk jug and place it under the filter and let that catch all the oil, and then remove it after putting on the new filter. No mess, no drips, and very easy to do.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our Exped definitely doesn't have the plastic drain plug, unless it's really well hidden.
15mm drain bolt, passenger side, rear of the oil pan, just ahead of the transmission.
Exactly… I’m only familiar with the plastic drain plug being on F-150’s; at least the 2016 2.7 liter my buddy drives has that plastic drain plug.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took my 2.7 F150 to the dealer the couple times it needed an oil change before trading it off.
Can't say I ever got under it.

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Similar to others, my first oil change I tried the pan and it made a mess. The second go round I used some foil and created my own tray to get it going where I wanted it. On the bright side the plastic pan did provide a good support to use for that process and didn’t have to wipe anything up.