Oil change requires remove skid plate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkhorse16

Reaction score
No, it even has stamped on it “do not remove for oil change”. There are two rubber hole plugs that you rotate 45 degrees and they come out for access.

That said, I strongly believe that it is way less messy if you drop the skid plate and splash guards.

I just got my ‘15 and when I dropped the skid plate it was disgusting for all the things that collected on it after oil changes.

Last edited:

cire

Reaction score
On my Limited I have to remove the plastic cover/plate after the skid plate to get to the drain plug.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've only had my '15 EL long enough for one oil change, and I reviewed several Youtube videos before attempting my DIY. It looked messy enough on the Youtube, but was actually much worse than I ever imagined! I attempted to leave the steel skid plate in place, but could not get the oil filter out through the gap between skid plate and whatever else is in front of it, so I finally loosened the bolts on the skid plate enough to be able to slide the oil filter out. I vowed I would never do another DIY on this engine, but then I realized a shop might just skip the oil filter change altogether because of how terrible it actually is, so I will remove the entire skid plate next time.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
I've only had my '15 EL long enough for one oil change, and I reviewed several Youtube videos before attempting my DIY. It looked messy enough on the Youtube, but was actually much worse than I ever imagined! I attempted to leave the steel skid plate in place, but could not get the oil filter out through the gap between skid plate and whatever else is in front of it, so I finally loosened the bolts on the skid plate enough to be able to slide the oil filter out. I vowed I would never do another DIY on this engine, but then I realized a shop might just skip the oil filter change altogether because of how terrible it actually is, so I will remove the entire skid plate next time.
You access the oil filter by removing the piece of flimsy fabric held in by 1/4 turn plastic grommets. The metal skid plate DOES NOT need to be touched. I’ve done oil changes on two 2016 expeditions now since 2016 every 5000 miles and it is literally easier than tying your shoes. 4 screws to take off the fabric protector attached to metal skid plate gives you access to the drain plug, 6 grommets to get you access to the filter. Done. Idk what videos you watched but those DIYers must not be very smart or mechanically inclined

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You access the oil filter by removing the piece of flimsy fabric held in by 1/4 turn plastic grommets. The metal skid plate DOES NOT need to be touched. I’ve done oil changes on two 2016 expeditions now since 2016 every 5000 miles and it is literally easier than tying your shoes. 4 screws to take off the fabric protector attached to metal skid plate gives you access to the drain plug, 6 grommets to get you access to the filter. Done. Idk what videos you watched but those DIYers must not be very smart or mechanically inclined
I’ve done all the oil changes myself on our 2016. As you stated, 8 mm to drop the carpet protector and 90 degree rotation on the plastic grommets to provide a path to snake your arm up to blindly reach the stupidly horizontally mounted oil filter. The Harborfreight oil filter caps that slide onto the bottom of the oil filter with a 3/8 ratchet work best for loosening and tightening the filter.
Oh and don’t forget to remove the square rubber cover from the driver side to allow the oil from the filter to pour out.
I like that the Expy uses exactly six quarts. I pickup Mobile One synthetic at Costco whenever they have six packs on sale for $30. Less storage than picking up two 5 quart containers and no measuring required.
The Mobil one filters I order off Amazon because I was tired of Walmart and Autozone not keeping them in stock.