oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was reading the manual for my 03 5.4L, and it says to change the oil every 5k miles. What happened to the traditional 3k mile oil change? Can somebody explain why Ford recommends 5k instead of 3k? I'm thinking about getting my oil changed before it hits 5k. It just rolled over to 3k a couple days ago.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I can remember I think it has always been 5k. I think the 3k business started with all the Jiffy Lubes and quick oil chnage spots to generate more business. I occasionally change my oil between 3k and 5k. On my Boxster it was equiped with Mobile 1 and the first oild change was 17K. Yeap thats right 17,000 miles for the first oil change on a Porsche boxster. However, I go by the book and 5k is what is listed for my 03 Expedition and 01 Lincoln LS. I am sure thats fine if Ford says so :)

G

Conventional Oil today will easily last 5000 miles.
3000 miles was in the past.Today oils are improved over the old 3000 mile oils.
I use synthetic and change it twice a year.I only do about 8500 a year on my expedition but I do 12000 on my '02 Grand Prix GT and use synthetic and change it twice a year.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other way to look at it is.......it won't hurt to change it more often...other than time and money. I do agree with jt, between 3k and 5k is fine. I will go one step further and say that the oil filter should be changed as often as the oil. Some folks skip one or two changes (???). Fram also has a great quick change kit called the SureDrain (Model SD2 for my '98 Exby) that makes changing oil real easy. Try it.

G

Originally posted by rwinch
One other way to look at it is.......it won't hurt to change it more often...other than time and money. I do agree with jt, between 3k and 5k is fine. I will go one step further and say that the oil filter should be changed as often as the oil. Some folks skip one or two changes (???). Fram also has a great quick change kit called the SureDrain (Model SD2 for my '98 Exby) that makes changing oil real easy. Try it.

I always change my filter with the oil.
You have the Fram plug I have the Fumoto plug.
Been using Fumoto drain plug for what gotta be 15 years on all my vehicles.
Great item.

66horse

Reaction score
Its probably more important to chang the filter than the oil. I use synthetic in my 66 bronco and now in the expedition too. Synthetics can easily go over 10,000 miles. Oil filters, I suggest changing at least every 5000 miles.

Also, do not use Fram oil filters, they are crap. Seriously.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by 66horse
Also, do not use Fram oil filters, they are crap. Seriously.

I don't have an opinion on Fram, but I was just wondering what kind you use if you think Fram is crap?

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
synthetic

Also, is there anything you have to do to change to synthetic oil besides change the oil and filter? If synthetic is better, why wouldn't Ford make the expedition come with synthetic?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nameisbry