Oil Dripping From Intercooler Tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kodigray2015

Reaction score
Ok, I know this issue has happened on 2018 and back vehicles but has anyone else been seeing oil accumulation in the intercooler on 2019 and newer Expeditions so much that it was dripping out of the hose on the outlet side.

Attachments

• D51D4AFC-D864-4178-9C40-017C19AB38CD.jpeg
    D51D4AFC-D864-4178-9C40-017C19AB38CD.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 23

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're sure some oil didn't get spilled while changing oil or perhaps you have an oil leak up higher on the engine someplace? Seems odd that the whole outside of the elbow is covered. Have you pulled the elbow to see how much oil is on the inside? I run a catch can which helps capture the oil before it gets to the intercooler.

OP
OP
K

kodigray2015

Reaction score
Yep, I know I didn’t spill any oil at last change. I did pull the inter cooler about 10k miles ago and had to clean out about 1-2 oz of oil. So there is oil in the intercooler and there was oil residue on the pipe before just not this much.

I did just have it at the dealership this morning because another dealership said I had an oil leak at my high pressure fuel pump on the right side of the motor. The trip this morning was for a leak verification for Ford since it is not covered under warranty but they said they would help with cost.

Anyway while there I wanted this dealership to listen to the start up cam phaser noise since it is still there on startup after the PCM update.

We’ll long story short they are going to replace the cam phasers and they said the the oil that was on that intercooler tube was coming from the high pressure fuel pump oil leak. I confused on how the oil can get fro the top right side of the motor to the front lower left side on the pipe, but who am I to second guess anyone. I guess we will see how the pipe looks after the oil leak is fixed at the HPFP.