oil in coolant on coolant in oil??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spank 141

Reaction score
I have just what the title says not sure what to do never had this happen before. I drained the radiator and it looked like mud coming out. So I thought blown head gasket. So i drained the oil and it looks normal no anti freeze at all. I have never seen that before and I am not sure what to do. I know it is coming from the #8 cylinder as you can see in pic. Is there something else I should be looking for or is it the head gasket??? Intake and intake gaskets looked fine. Please help am stumped.

Attachments

• IMG258.jpg
    IMG258.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,218
  • IMG257.jpg
    IMG257.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,127

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure. You are looking for a cracked block, head gasket, or cracked head. Sorry, but bad news anyway you look at it.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If the antifreeze has not been changed in many, many miles it can look muddy. The photo almost makes it appear its leaking from somewhere on the intake manifold or heater hoses?! Possibly the head gasket. Pressure check the manifold if you can. Any signs of the intake manifold gasket leaking?? Blow it off with compressed air and study it closely. I would try and pinpoint the source before you remove the heads if possible.

Last edited:

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, def clean that crap up good. I'm not squimish about engine cleaner and taking a high pressure hose it to, at least car wash pressure.

Use a flush and flush the radiator till it's clean as a baby's butt, then add the proper amount of water and mix and let it run. You can put some cardboard in that space to catch any subsequent spray if you have a leak there.

Deal with the radiator cleaning first and make sure you don't have a hose that's spraying at a funky angle etc.

If the oil looks pretty clean and doesn't smell like radiator fluid than your leak is out and hopefully it's just a hose or head gasket.

OP
OP
S

spank 141

Reaction score
couldn't find anything wrong with the intake or intake gaskets. I have had to add oil to it alot lately so I am pretty sure it is not just the anti freeze looking muddy. I can't a good fix on where the spray on the firewall is coming from. I pulled the#8 spark plug and it had oil and water on it. I might have two problems??? I think I might have a blown hose and a blown head gasket???

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, I had some residue on my number four plug(i think thats the plug u mean cuz it goes 1-4 front to back starting with the left head looking at the engine) I didnt have much crap on the spark plug but there was def something on it that was oily. It could be coolant leaking and taking grime with it down into the spark plug hole and the T connectors for the coolant are a known source for leaking and love to leak on that coil pack causing a misfire.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A crack on the head gasket could produce residue in the cylinder and outside at the same time. Clean it up, add some dye to the antifreeze and watch it.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Definitely time to pressurize the cooling system to do further diagnostics.

Also remember that even though oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure, the cooling system stays pressurized after the engine is turned off. So if there were a place where oil and coolant are coming together, you would see at least some evidence of coolant in the oil.

OP
OP
S

spank 141

Reaction score
thanks for the help fellas. I am going to clean out the coolant system as much as possible and try some dye to see if I can see where it is going.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For a $200 deposit, you can "borrow" a test set up from Pep Boys or Autozone. You generally need to get the pump assembly, and a separate threaded adapter. Pressurize to 16 pounds and leave it alone, It should be reading 16 pounds 4 hours later.