Oil Level Gauge on 2019 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like somebody was wrong @LokiWolf. That definitely dropped with auto start stop

Not wrong based on mine.

Mine does not drop, neither does @aggiegrad05’s.

@Squark, What year is yours. Mine is a 2020.

I am thinking his is the aberration, but we need a larger data set.

What does yours do @Robert McMillan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not wrong based on mine.

Mine does not drop, neither does @aggiegrad05’s.

@Squark, What year is yours. Mine is a 2020.

I am thinking his is the aberration, but we need a larger data set.

What does yours do @Robert McMillan?

Mine is a 2018. They must have updated the software at some point.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Mine is also an ‘18 and the gauge stays level through the ASS cycle.

I know this to be true because when I had an F150 as a loaner and the gauge dropped when the ASS kicked in, I had an “oh shit moment” and assumed I was going to have to call the dealer to come tow their loaner home. Which is to say: the drop was not something I was used to or expecting.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

That is what I am thinking. They had people panicking about it, or saying something was broke. So they have it stay at what it was before. That would explain it. Curious what other 4th Gens do, to see if we can find a pattern.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine is also an ‘18 and the gauge stays level through the ASS cycle.

I know this to be true because when I had an F150 as a loaner and the gauge dropped when the ASS kicked in, I had an “oh shit moment” and assumed I was going to have to call the dealer to come tow their loaner home. Which is to say: the drop was not something I was used to or expecting.

Now we need to know Month...Build date might be the determining factor.

OP
OP
J

Joey Smith

Reaction score
I just drove around now without towing and I can make it reliably occur when using auto stop start and making sure I enter auto stop and stay in it for 5-7 seconds. If I do that, I see the oil pressure gauge dip down and then upon starting up again the gauge kicks back up again.

If I deactivate ASS (using the button), then it never occurs.

Does this mean there is a problem with the sensor or there is an oil pressure issue occurring upon entering auto stop? I assume this is a sensor problem (or the software for it) with interactions with ASS.

Will likely speak to the dealer about it.
Anyone think it is dangerous to drive with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We need a bigger dataset? ...I mean, if the OPS is dropping off during a long AS/S stoplight, then this seems like a pretty simple explanation. I assume that there's some level of programming involved and the newer (or older?) flashes might keep the "running" pressures active over the auto-stop pressures. The bottom line is if you see the pressure drop AND the RPMs drop to zero, it's the AS/S.

(Mine rarely, if ever, engages in the current 100F+ temps of the desert Southwest right now. I have had the AS/S engage ONCE since I drove this bugger from Wyoming back to Arizona a month ago. I'm sure it will kick-in again once the ambient air-temps in the PHX area drop back into the double-digits.)

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just drove around now without towing and I can make it reliably occur when using auto stop start and making sure I enter auto stop and stay in it for 5-7 seconds. If I do that, I see the oil pressure gauge dip down and then upon starting up again the gauge kicks back up again.

If I deactivate ASS (using the button), then it never occurs.

Does this mean there is a problem with the sensor or there is an oil pressure issue occurring upon entering auto stop? I assume this is a sensor problem (or the software for it) with interactions with ASS.

Will likely speak to the dealer about it.
Anyone think it is dangerous to drive with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem at all. Oil pressure should drop when the motor turns off. The oil pump is mechanical.

You do not have a problem. It appears some just show it and others don’t. Probably a difference in how some IPC(Instrument Panel Controller) are programmed.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We need a bigger dataset? ...I mean, if the OPS is dropping off during a long AS/S stoplight, then this seems like a pretty simple explanation. I assume that there's some level of programming involved and the newer (or older?) flashes might keep the "running" pressures active over the auto-stop pressures. The bottom line is if you see the pressure drop AND the RPMs drop to zero, it's the AS/S.

(Mine rarely, if ever, engages in the current 100F+ temps of the desert Southwest right now. I have had the AS/S engage ONCE since I drove this bugger from Wyoming back to Arizona a month ago. I'm sure it will kick-in again once the ambient air-temps in the PHX area drop back into the double-digits.)

As in a bigger data set to see if it was related to year, trim level or another variable. Could just be terrible QC on the programming side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni