Oil on the radiator, not in but on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hi guys,
so after my last service at the dealer, i noticed the fan on my radiator switching on nearly as soon as i start the car. Now it does get hot out here but i thought this was a little strange, so i looked behind the grill and there was a load of oil covering the radiator and of course a load of sand stuck to it.
So I assumed this may have been from the dealer spilling something over it and not cleaning it up as i couldn't see anything in the engine bay without taking the plastic cover off from over the radiator. So i jet washed it off, the fan went back to running normally.
Checked everything a couple of weeks later and all was fine.
But now after being away on holiday, i have found there is oil over the radiator again, it appears to be coming from around the upper side of the radiator, or behind the radiator on the passenger side.

i'm going to have to take the plastic cover off to see what's going on but any ideas before i start going at it?

cheers

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the oil, trans and power steering fluid levels. One of them should be dropping. If it is a green smelly oil the ac is leaking oil.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Always a good idea to listen to stamp. I think he is probably on to the culprit being a/c leak.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well we've got another moose on the forum! Like Stamp said, check the 3 oils first. The fact that the fans kick on right away leads me to an A/C issue, possibly a leaking A/C condenser . It's possible a heavy handed tech at your dealer nicked or punctured something while working on it. My advice , get it back to them pronto, show them the oil on the radiator. If their reputable, they'll own up to their mistake. It could be coincidence, but I would pursue it with them. Your more than likely going to have to get the manager or field manager involved. Push come to shove get ahold of consumer affairs. You could do it yourself, but seeing you went to the dealer to begin with, I wouldn't. Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
standardmoose

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cheers for the reply guys, im going to take off the plastic covers over the weekend to have a look and see if i can find it.
But i've checked the power steering and trans oil and both seem fine so i think it must be from the ac. It was running a little warm the other day but after a recharge, it seems to be ok.
I'll let you guys know what i find.

thanks for all the help!

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
probably power steering fluid. Mine is leaking from the upper passenger side the ps oil cooler is part of the ac condenser, its mounted to the top of it

I am bypassing it with a Hayden oil cooler

OP
OP
standardmoose

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well finally managed to get the whole thing foxed.
As mentioned by everything it was the power steering fluid and also since it is mounted to the condenser it was leaking onto it.
Ford was saying it would about 600$+ just for the spare, but managed to find an after market heavy duty replacement for 180$ on ebay.
Had it fitted the other day and everything is good now!

cheers for all the help guys

1mpg

Reaction score
well finally managed to get the whole thing foxed.
As mentioned by everything it was the power steering fluid and also since it is mounted to the condenser it was leaking onto it.
Ford was saying it would about 600$+ just for the spare, but managed to find an after market heavy duty replacement for 180$ on ebay.
Had it fitted the other day and everything is good now!

cheers for all the help guys

Sorry for the thread revival but I like to search first and then ask questions.

What exactly was replaced here? I have the same symptoms on my truck and cannot figure out where it’s coming from. I did remove the plastic cover and noticed that the leak is definitely coming from the passenger top side in front of the truck. I’m not sure if it’s part of the radiator but it’s like a radiator and sits up front.

1204612D-D5D0-4C2B-B1EB-B0EBEED5582F.jpeg

5496756F-12E8-4794-9A69-BDD482BACC94.jpeg