OIL PAN DRAIN PLUG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelvin Pratt

Reaction score
Hello, just got a 2019 Limited Expedition. we love the vehicle so far but i'm concerned about the oil pan drain plug I keep hearing about. Does anyone know if my expedition has a plastic or Aluminum drain plug? I always do my own oil changes. And can anyone recommend a good set of ramps that wont snag the front bumper lip? Thanks to all!

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 18’ plastic. There was rumor that late 2018 the switched to metal but this may have been a limited production change. Look underneath for the yellow drain plug found on the plastic pans. It will be under the second skid plate on the passenger side.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was another post on this forum recently about the plastic composite oil pan and plug vs metal. At some point, Ford stopped using the plastic pan and changed to metal on the 4th generation Expeditions. Do a search.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
April of 2018 they trashed the plastic oil pans and that crappy drain plug. They went back to aluminum oil pans.

Overtow

Reaction score
My build date is 7/21/18 and the drain plug is metal.

You have to drop a debris shield to get to the drain plug, making what would otherwise be a simple job a pain in the ass.

ProTip: Don't completely remove the passenger rear heat shield screw, just loosen it (after removing the other three. Once loose, just rotate the heat shield out of the way and drain the oil. Once done, rotate it back into position, insert the other three screws, and torque it down.

Did I mention Anti-Seize? I anti-seized the crap out of the screws. I'm in Cleveland and these things are not going to last with the salt exposure we have here...

I'm seriously considering getting something like this so I don't have to drop the shield every time I change the oil:

https://www.amazon.com/Stahlbus-Drain-Valve-M14x1-5x12mm-Steel/dp/B01AMXAVX0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Stahlbus+Oil+Drain+Valve+Plug&qid=1564626818&s=gateway&sr=8-1