Oil pressure gauge issue? Youtube link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edwardi

Reaction score
I noticed today that my oil pressure gauge would quickly go from normal, to zero, oil light will go on, then a second later shoot right back up to full pressure.

It does this constantly, a few times each minute. It bounces from 75% of guage to 0%, stays at 0% for a second, then bounces back to 75% and stays there. It does this no matter how many RPM my engine is at.

I was able to drive 4 hours today and have not noticed any issues with the car or overheating.

Should I be concerned about this, is it my gauge or my engine?

Thank you for any advice you can offer on this issue.

One other thing I wanted to point out is that today when I jump started my car, I accidently reversed polarity with the cable and had a large spark, but everything seemed fine. Its just that I noticed this oil gauge issue after doing that, maybe just a coincidence.

Last edited:

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One quick way is to buy or rent an oil pressure gauge with adaptor for your engine. It will tell you if the sending unit or instrument cluster is faulty. And it will also tell you if you have a lubrication problem. I suggest don't use the truck until you have checked the oil pressure manually.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It does this constantly, a few times each minute. It bounces from 75% of guage to 0%, stays at 0% for a second, then bounces back to 75% and stays there.
You do know that,
That oil gauge is not a gauge at all, It is the equivalent of a dummie oil light. It's either on or off.

Should I be concerned about this, is it my gauge or my engine?
Yes it is your oil light coming on so, personally I wouldn't drive until I was sure I had oil pressure.

I accidently reversed polarity with the cable and had a large spark, but everything seemed fine. Its just that I noticed this oil gauge issue after doing that, maybe just a coincidence.
That could have absolutely messed with the oil light, but as stated I would not run the truck until absolutely sure I have oil pressure.

A little oil gauge kit is inexpensive and easy to install.

OP
OP
E

Edwardi

Reaction score
oops, I was low on engine oil.

I actually checked it when I first returned home, and it looked like it was around half way on the dip stick if I remember correctly, nothing that should set the oil light off.

I decided to fill it to the full mark and the oil pressure light doesn't come on anymore.

I do know that my engine burns a lot of oil, and I hadn't filled it in a long time.

vincentrose

Reaction score
DONT DRIVE IT, I made that mistake with my 2002 explorer, when it started doing this, I initially replaced the oil pressure sensor, also did a oil change while I was at it, problem went away, so I assumed that was it, then problem returned a few months later, I ignored it thinking it was another electrical issue, BIG MISTAKE, engine shut off a few minutes later and hasn't started since. I suspected that the plastic timing chain guide broke apart and fell into the oil pan where it then got sucked into the pickup tube, cutting off or restricting the oil flow, causing the low oil pressure messages. Are you hearing a timing chain "slap?" when idling? I was!! Keep in mind this was on an EXPLORER, with the 4.6L V8, Not an Expedition. Maybe they are similar, maybe not.. Not Sure. Didnt really have time to tear it down, and didnt wanna pay a mechanic to do it either. Wound up buying a 2014 Expedition Limited. Loaded out to the gills, all the bells and whistles, a steal at $16,000. Love it!!

Last edited:

Sergey

Reaction score
Where is oil pressure lamp? It not on! is it in place?
its may be temperature sensor issue which locate on engine head