One more time with the coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manlavi95

Reaction score
My truck loses a gallon of water a day. Last night, I got home, and there was steaming coming from underhood. I popped the hood and found that there was a pool of coolant in the intake valley. Now, I had thought it was a bad freeze plug or warped head and bad head gasket on the passenger side, but now I'm thinking it's the hose that comes from the back of the water pump to the heater core. I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I just cut it at the heater core and bypass it? Somebody help

hartsemperfi

Reaction score
From what i read from this site and others could be a number of things i have coolant in the valley too. It could be yes that pipe, the intake gaskets( or possibly the manifold if its plastic. I have yet to tear down and investigate mine i guess thats what its gonna come to.

OP
OP
Manlavi95

Manlavi95

Reaction score
From what i read from this site and others could be a number of things i have coolant in the valley too. It could be yes that pipe, the intake gaskets( or possibly the manifold if its plastic. I have yet to tear down and investigate mine i guess thats what its gonna come to.

I actually changed the intake manifold gaskets and couldn't find a visible leak on the intake manifold. I didn't even think to look at this pipe though when I had it all off (don't you hate that feeling?). If it's the intake manifold, I'm gonna say screw it and put an eaton on it, I swear.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my money is on the intake manifold. but you should see tell-tale signs of cracks without even pulling it out

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do it the smart way, get the intake gaskets, price a dorman manifold and eta once ordered from your parts house and the coolant pipe from the dealer. Once you have the upper manifold off you can inspect it for cracks, order if needed.

OP
OP
Manlavi95

Manlavi95

Reaction score
Do it the smart way, get the intake gaskets, price a dorman manifold and eta once ordered from your parts house and the coolant pipe from the dealer. Once you have the upper manifold off you can inspect it for cracks, order if needed.

Fair enough. As far as the heater core and quick disconnects, are those pretty leak-proof or is there a way to replace them with clamps and whatnot?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get replacement quick disconnects and avoid fighting with the clamps. It is fairly tight back in there.